Senior Principal Data Association Scientist
-Multi-Hypothesis Tracking (MHT) has been the standard for multi-target, multi-sensor fusion for decades. Recently, graph-based approaches have become popular. Can Random Finite Sets (RFS) improve the computational and functional performance over both?
-Traditionally, data association has focused on hard-hard or soft-soft association. Hard-soft data fusion has come about much more recently - how can we associate video tracks of tanks to chat logs of intelligence analysts talking about tanks?
-Social media by itself represents a massive amount of information. Can we combine it with traditional data sources like SIGINT and MASINT to do even more?
These are actual problems that the scientists and researchers in I2A are working to solve every day.
As a scientist in I2A, you will work in small to medium groups of researchers and engineers on projects that typically last 1-3 years. Working on different projects keeps things new and interesting, but the projects don't just stop when our research stops. I2A is part of FAST Labs, which acts as the research and development core of Electronic Systems' five other business areas. Once we finish the research, we work to transition our programs to those business areas. Our tracking, fusion, and analytic algorithms go to the Command, Control, Communications, and Computers Intelligence, Surveillance, and Recognizance Systems (C4ISR) business area to improve their products that are used by military and intelligence analysts every day. Or they may go to the Electronic Combat Solutions (ECS) business area to add capability to their electronic warfare systems installed on aircraft like the F-35 or B-2. By sitting at the heart of BAE Systems' R&D organization, our research has a direct path through the greater company to enhance the capabilities of American soldiers.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 8 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
We are looking for scientists with foundations skills in one or more of the following who are interested in learning more:
- We use combinatorial optimization to choose which sensor observations are generated by the same objects.
- We use Integer Linear Programs (ILPs) to associate measurements optimally, subject to data association constraints (e.g. a measurement can describe at most one target)
- Understanding the data that sensors produce is critical to developing data association algorithms. We use data analysis to understand sensor phenomenology including biases, errors, dropouts, etc. Data analysis also informs us about how detection algorithms operate on radar, electro-optical, and signal data, etc.
- Modeling and simulation enables multi-resolution modeling of complex systems: we can run a low-fidelity radar simulation on thousands of targets, or we can run a high-fidelity simulation on a smaller number of targets.
- Additionally, M&S allows us to couple our data association algorithms with sensor resource managers and learning algorithms: our data association algorithms estimate the world around us, and task sensors to investigate specific entities.
- Probability and statistics provide the foundation for most of our data association algorithms. We use them to formulate statistical models, perform Bayesian inference, and update our understanding of the world.
- Multi-Target Tracking
- State Estimation
- Data Fusion
- Bachelor's Degree with 8+ year of professional research experience, or
- Master's Degree with 6+ years of professional research experience, or
- Doctorate with 4+ years of professional research experience
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Vice President, Finance
Chandra helps steer the overall financial direction of BAE Systems’ headquarters. She interacts with many teams to lead mergers and acquisitions, investments, and general maintenance of all the numbers.
Back to top