Senior Optical Product Engineer
BAE Systems is looking for an experienced Optical Product Engineer to support manufacturing and testing in its Nashua, NH facilities. This position will include the following activities:
1. Support manufacturing while troubleshooting lasers with complex optical assemblies.
2. Conduct or direct system and sub-system optical testing to validate compliance to system requirements.
3. Interface with Engineering and other supporting groups to drive defect resolution to root cause.
4. Support test equipment maintenance.
5. Generate and implement improvements in test design, processes, and methodologies to reduce cost, increase throughput and ensure Producibility of designs.
6. Generate and review the technical content of test procedures, processes, drawings, specifications, reports, Engineering Change Orders, and other documentation associated with the design, build and test of deliverable products.
7. Interface with governmental customers, auditors and vendors as required.
8. Provide training / support to manufacturing personnel.
Minimum Education and Experience Bachelor’s Degree and 5 years work experience or equivalent experience Required Skills and Education – Required education: Bachelor’s degree in Optical Engineering or similar technical degree and 5+ year(s) related experience
- Strong familiarity with the test, measurement and manufacturing techniques of lasers, fiber optics and optical systems
- The candidate must have hands-on skills with the testing and troubleshooting of optical systems and its components.
- The candidate should have demonstrably strong problem analysis and solving skills.
- Must be highly motivated and have experience in leadership and team building skills, along with strong oral and written communications skills.
- Work with the program team to derive manufacturing processes, test points, allocation, and product build workflow
- Demonstrate the ability to drive yield, new product introduction, development & transition to production
- Opto-mechanical and electrical assembly skills
Preferred Skills and Education – Preferred education: Masters Degree in Engineering or related field
- Knowledge and proficiency in the use of electronic and optical test equipment such as collimators, alignment telescopes, beam profilers, signal generators, oscilloscopes and spectrum analyzers.
- Have an understanding of adhesive selection, torque requirements, bond line processes, tooling/fixturing, wire routing to prevent noise/chaffing and factory flow layout
- Provide a “Left Shift” mentality to engage Design for Manufacturing and Maintainability (DFM2) and Design for Test (DFT)
- Provide technical support to Engineering by influencing the design approach, schedule, budget, trade studies and analysis
- Work directly with Engineering to implement DSSM (Design for Six Sigma Manufacturing). .
- Understand design margins and predict factory yields.
- Experience with facilities, program and capital planning is a plus
- Driving Non-Conformance and other product related failure activities to route cause/corrective action
- Familiarity with the Microsoft Windows (XP, Windows 7) Operating Systems and software development on these platforms.
- Capabilities in National Instruments LabWindows/CVI programming and/or other similar test software development toolsets
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 100,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. Electronic Solutions, based in Nashua, New Hampshire, provides systems and products that maximize the effectiveness and safety of fighting forces and first responders. Its offerings include infrared countermeasures and electronic protection systems for military and civilian aircraft; information management systems; signal acquisition, analysis, and exploitation systems that optimize use of the electromagnetic spectrum by friendly forces while denying its use by adversaries; interoperable communications systems for firefighters and other first responders; thermal weapon sights; precision targeting systems; situational awareness systems for ground vehicles; night-vision systems; identification friend or foe systems; and radiation-hardened electronics. Electronic Solutions also includes the group’s Technology Solutions unit, which joins the business with government research organizations and industry to develop and demonstrate innovative system concepts in such areas as situational awareness, communications and networking, and precision targeting. People are the greatest asset in any Company … BAE Systems is committed to a high performance culture and provides an environment that challenges our employees to be remarkable and obtain their full potential. Equal Opportunity Employer. Females. Minorities. Veterans. Disabled
Back to top