Senior Network Administrations
- San Diego, CA
BAE Systems, Inc. is seeking a Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) for a datacenter engineering group to provide support for network diagnostics, troubleshooting and automation related activities for Virtual Cloud Computing Center (VC3) supporting multiple programs, Research & Development projects, Initiatives, and proposal efforts across the GEOINT Defense business area.
SREs are responsible for availability, latency, performance, efficiency, change management, monitoring, emergency response, and capacity planning. SREs will have a deep understanding of how applications function and are able to change infrastructure for production quality.
The successful candidate will serve as SRE-Networking, responsible for the smooth operation of on-premises network appliances within the limits of requirements, specifications, costs and timelines.
Job responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Monitor, Configure & Troubleshoot Switches, Firewalls, VPN appliances
- Use network diagnostic tools as per product requirements
- Ensure the reliability, availability and performance of network infrastructure & network-related application
- Actively participate in incident response and root-cause analysis, support a blameless post-mortems culture
- Document root-cause analysis and offer solutions to prevent future client network outages
- Commission and decommission infrastructure
- Identify and suggest network designs that will enable consistent client network workflow
- Maintain current customer network documentation that documents outages, changes, and best practices
- Automate repetitive tasks to eliminate toil and drive consistency + repeatability
- Develop tools and services to automate the mitigation and remediation of network-specific events
- Participate in creating customized network management tools to evaluate, monitor and report network statistics
- Design, write and deliver Infrastructure as Code software to improve the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency of network
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Good understanding of TCP/IP model, Open Networking standards, Jun OS, Cisco IOS
- Significant experience with network diagnostic tools such as tcpdump, wireshark
- Experience with Jun OS for switches, firewalls
- Familiar with Pulse Secure VPN
- Understanding of network security (firewalls and IDS) design and implementation
- Understanding of complex networking models utilizing a variety of L2 & L3 protocols
- Knowledge of spanning tree protocol, BGP, LACP, VLAN, MC-LAG
- Basic understanding of scripting & software development packages for development of Infrastructure as Code
- Working knowledge of one or more of the following languages: Ansible, Python,
- Ability to automate menial tasks
- Understanding of diagram drawing tools such as Visio, Lucid Charts, Gliffy
- Able to document cause analysis and offer solutions to prevent future client network outages
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Ability to generate design documentation using Microsoft Visio or equivalent
- Experience performing trade studies related to commercial products and services
- Strong networking skills, expertise with network security concepts such as IPsec, VPN, SSH, and TLS
- Experience with application networking such as load balancing, forward/reverse proxy, monitoring, and packet inspection/troubleshooting
- Hands-on experience managing, designing, or delivering with DoD/Federal Clouds such as AWS GovCloud (US) or Azure Government
- Experience working with appropriate scripting languages and operating systems software (e.g., Python, PowerShell, Bash)
- Experience using infrastructure as code tools (e.g. Ansible, Chef, Puppet, Salt)
About BAE Systems, Inc.
BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it's what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts - defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team-making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you'll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference.
At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Back to top