Senior Mechanical Engineer - US Navy Submarine Launcher Systems
BAE Systems in Middletown, RI, is seeking a full-time Sr. Mechanical Engineer to be part of our technical team which supports US Navy Submarine Payload Integration and Weapon Launching Systems In Service Engineering.
The selected candidate will be working and interfacing with personnel supporting our primary customer, the Naval Undersea Warfare Center in Newport, Rhode Island.
The selected candidate will:
- Produce mechanical analysis packages via hand calculations and FEA.
- Produce technical reports to communicate study findings to the Navy customers.
- Use SolidWorks to generate 3D models and designs of submarine components and test facility components.
- Generate and review technical documentation such as 2D drawings, technical reports, calculation packages, PowerPoint presentations and briefings identifying technical findings of reviews and analysis.
- Review industry standard material specifications and identify the required material for each component in a new or existing design.
- Work with various customers, machine shops, vendors and subcontractors simultaneously to develop designs and procure and inspect hardware to technical drawings and specifications.
- Analyze existing technical documentation and determine impacts to system/subsystem interfaces.
- Mentor junior level technical staff, review and correct tasking on a regular basis.
Minimum Education and Experience Bachelor’s Degree and 5 years work experience or equivalent experience Required Skills and Education
Must have the following skills/experience/education:
Degree must be in an Engineering discipline, although BSME is preferred (similar degrees such as BS Aerospace or BS Ocean Engineering will be considered).
Minimum of 5 years of related professional work experience.
Ability and eligibility to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret security clearance.
Experience with ASME and/or Military drafting practices.
Ability to originate and check basic structural and fluid dynamic calculations.
Proficient with Solidworks 3-D modeling and 2-D drawing creation for machine parts and assemblies.
Proficient with SolidWorks Simulation to perform FEA studies on existing or new designs. Similar FEA software experience will be considered.
Working knowledge of engineering standards and best practices.
Proficient in MS Office PowerPoint, Word and Excel to document design information.
Excellent technical writing skills, verbal communication skills and team mentality.
Strong attention to detail.
Ability to communicate with the customer.
Preferred Skills and Education
Highly desired skills/experience:
Active DoD Secret security clearance
Technical support experience with U.S. Navy Submarine Systems, preferably weapon launching systems
Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T)
Proficient in AutoCAD 2-D drawing creation
MATLAB and MATHCAD experience
FEA experience using SolidWorks Simulation
Project Management experience
About BAE Systems Intelligence & Security BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. Information Solutions, based in Reston, Virginia, is among the 10 largest IT providers to the U.S. government, serving most of the federal defense and civilian marketplace. It provides network-centric command, control, computing, and intelligence (C3I) solutions; wideband networking radio systems; information systems for the U.S. intelligence community; geospatial information services; and information technology services. Leveraging its knowledge of signals and data derived from signals, Information Solutions has attained a market-leading position in advanced information technology research, intelligence analysis and production, and geospatial exploitation software. People are the greatest asset in any Company. BAE Systems is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top