Senior Mechanical Engineer
This individual will work as a Senior Mechanical Engineer within BAE's FAST Labs R&D organization providing engineering support to research, development, detailed design, build and test of innovative sensor products involving acoustic, radio frequency and electro-optic technologies.
As a Senior Engineer you will provide guidance to junior level engineers, lead drafting teams, and oversee the design, integration, test and deployment of hardware. You will effectively interface with other team members representing a wide range of disciplines, including scientists, program management, systems, electrical, and software engineering. You will work closely with members of program teams to achieve design, hardware build and test objectives.
This individual will also have a proven track record in creative concept generation and trade studies, and meeting program budget and schedule objectives. The successful candidate will demonstrate a clear dedication to taking ownership of his or her work, a drive to not leave tasks incomplete or not understood, and be absolutely committed to making the team and project succeed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide Mechanical Engineering leadership by organizing a design team and executing to plan while managing and tracking work assignments and progress.
- Track and understand design requirements and apply sound engineering principles and oversight to meet project requirements.
- Generate and present design review packages for internal and external audiences.
- Support customer and supplier interactions as required.
- Develop creative conceptual designs for new products and proposal efforts.
- Support new product development efforts through design and build of prototype systems in support of business development pursuits.
- Help plan and support the environmental testing of hardware including: vibration, shock, thermal, fatigue and others as required.
- Perform root cause assessments on hardware failures. Identify solutions and perform analysis as required to verify validity of proposed solutions.
- Able to work on multiple assignments and with multiple teams simultaneously.
- Provide mentoring, teach and develop talent base of junior engineers.
- Other duties as assigned.
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 4 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- U.S. Citizenship required and ability to obtain/maintain a Secret security clearance
- Ability to perform basic thermal, static and dynamic structural analysis
- Ability to support design and development of hardware to ensure requirements compliance
- Strong mechanical aptitude, excelling in problem solving and troubleshooting
- Ability to read mechanical drawings and perform tolerance assessments
- Good communication and organizational skills
- Secret security clearance preferred
- Opto-mechanical and electro-optic hardware design experience
- Acoustic and radio frequency hardware design experience
- Finite element modeling skills including thermal, structural and transient shock
- DTUPC, DFT, DFM methodologies and experience
- Design for shock, vibration and thermal environments
- CREO 3D CAD Modeling
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Vice President, Finance
Chandra helps steer the overall financial direction of BAE Systems’ headquarters. She interacts with many teams to lead mergers and acquisitions, investments, and general maintenance of all the numbers.
Back to top