Senior Mechanical Engineer
Researches, plans, analyzes, designs, and develops mechanical products such as ammunition handling systems, structures, gun systems, missile launchers, mechanisms, and other devices. Performs technical analysis, testing, and evaluation of moderately complex engineering problems using specialized equipment and computer programs. Analyzes and interprets design specifications, drawings, documents, models, and test results to ensure technical designs comply with applicable engineering standards, military specifications, and product requirements. Develops and writes technical documentation, makes revisions to existing documentation, and provides input to technical papers or presentations. May deliver technical presentations.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs complex engineering design, development, analysis, experimentation, test, and product assurance tasks of limited complexity for assigned portions of a project.
- Solves moderately complex engineering problems which have not been clearly defined and may not have similar precedents available.
- Ensures tasks meet cost, quality, schedule, and performance requirements.
- Applies wide range of engineering design and analytical theory, principles, techniques, and practices to a complex portion of a technical project.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with customers.
- Acquires and maintains up-to-date knowledge of relevant engineering disciplines, industry practices, trends, and applications.
- Maintains a safe work environment and ensures compliance with safety policies and rules.
-May direct the work of less senior technical personnel.
-Provides input to project leaders for the development of project plans, schedules, and budgets.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 4 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
-Education Requirements: B.S. degree in a relevant technical discipline (typically mechanical or aerospace engineering) plus 4 years relevant experience; or a M.S. degree and 2 years experience; or a Ph.D. in a relevant technical discipline.
-Must have working knowledge of creating moderately complex solid models and mechanical designs using CAD systems, preferable PTC Pro-E or CREO.
-Ability to solve moderately complex technical design and development problems that require a professional level of engineering knowledge.
-Strong communication skills (verbal and written).
-Ability to obtain a security clearance.
Preferred Skills and Education
-Familiarity with relevant military and commercial design standards.
-Familiarity with current computer applications and technologies in applicable engineering disciplines.
-Certain positions may require a specific technical degree.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. Platforms & Services designs, develops, produces, supports, maintains, modernizes and upgrades armored combat vehicles, wheeled vehicles, naval guns, surface ship combatants, commercial vessels, missile launchers, artillery systems, military ordnance, and protective wear and armor. Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top