Senior Mechanical Designer
- Huntsville, AL
See what you're missing. Our employees work on the world's most advanced electronics - from detecting threats for F-35 pilots to illuminating the night for soldiers. Spanning air, land, sea, and space, we are developing the technology of tomorrow, delivered today. Drawing strength from our differences, we're innovating for the future. And you can, too. Our flexible work environment provides you a chance to change the world without giving up your personal life. We put our customers first - exemplified by our mission: "We Protect Those Who Protect Us®." Sound like a team you want to be a part of? Come build your career with BAE Systems.
Our Engineers and Designers are the lifeblood of our company and we're more than 5,000 strong. With our robust offering of educational and career development opportunities, your chances to grow are limitless.
In Survivability, Targeting & Sensing Solutions, we provide affordable and highly accurate precision-guided munitions, helmet-mounted and head-up displays for fighter aircrafts, and advanced electro-optical/laser technology that detect and defeat threats to air and ground platforms.
The Sr. Mechanical Designer position we are seeking to fill requires 8+ years of experience in the Mechanical Design Drafting profession, with a minimum 2 years specifically assigned Designer role. You will provide support on our EO/IR/RF, precision pointing, and countermeasures-based products and other challenging technologies. You will be part of a Design & Drafting Community working with the latest CAD Technology and Processes that are always forward planning with Industry professionals to define future of CAD capabilities as well as its support of Model Based Engineering via Model Based Definition. You will also advance your technical skills while performing your assigned responsibilities on development projects and supporting our existing product portfolio.
The individual selected for this position will be an experienced Mechanical Designer who is a problem solver with diverse technical capabilities and sound design and geometrical tolerance fundamentals to support engineering, design, analysis, product definition and product build process. The duties assigned to this position, while under the guidance of Program and Engineering Leadership, include the following:
• Utilize computer-aided design equipment and/or graphic tools to design components, systems, portion of systems and modify existing designs to develop or improve production
• Support mechanical, opto-mechanical, and electro-mechanical hardware design efforts from conceptual layouts through detailed design
• Conduct design trade studies, volume packaging and tolerance analysis
• Plan, execute, develop, release and control of product definition data (engineering models and drawings)
• Work closely with technicians in the generation and assembly of prototype/engineering hardware and test equipment
• Create, maintain and update engineering records and files as appropriate
• Perform ECR's and ECO's as required
• Perform other related duties as assigned
"This position is contingent upon award program"
" Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship"
Required Skills and Education
- Familiarity with comprehensive design process including conceptual development, physical design, support to procurement and manufacturing
- Work within a broader program team, capable of communicating across functional boundaries in for problem resolution.
- Familiar with standard manufacturing practices for the efficient fabrication of mechanical components and assemblies
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment
- Good understanding of GD&T in accordance with Y14.5
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient working in CREO Parametric 4.0 and Pro-Intralink/Winchill 11.0 or later . Have a solid foundation in creating and modifying parts, assemblies and drawings. Or proficient in other CAD 3D CAD tool(s) with ambition to learn.
- Proficient with electro-mechanical defense electronics. (Designing Chassis', Card Cages, Cables, Assemblies, etc.)
- Proficient working in CREO Parametric 4.0 and Pro-Intralink/Winchill 11.0 or later . Have a solid foundation in creating and modifying parts, assemblies and drawings.
- Expert with Y14.5 GD&T, Military Standards, ASME Standards, Creo and Pro-Intralink/Winchill
- Experience with Dassault Systemes ENOVIA PDM
- Abilit y to lead small to mid-level designs and effectively communicate within an Engineering team
- Active DoD Security Clearance
- Proficient with MIL-STD-31000 (Technical Data Packages).
- Proficient with ASME Y14.100 (Engineering Drawings)
- Proficient with ASME Y14.24 (Types of Engineering Drawings).
- Expert with ASME Y14.5-1994 or Later. (Dimensioning and Tolerancing).
- Education and Experience: Design Drafting or Technical Field Associates Degree and 15 years minimum of Design Drafting experience, or 20 plus years total experience.
BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere - from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact - for our customers and the communities we serve.
Back to top