Senior Information System Security Manager (ISSM)
- Roy, UT
BAE Systems is seeking an exceptional, senior Information System Security Manager (ISSM) for an exciting opportunity to support the Air Force's acquisition of the next generation Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM).
Why BAE Systems? BAE Systems is the third largest defense contractor in the world with an exceptional, mission-focused culture. The 800+ BAE Systems employees and sub-contractors located at Hill Air Force Base, Utah are closely aligned to the United States Air Force Nuclear Weapons Center. We support the Center in sustaining the existing LGM-30 Minuteman III (MM III) weapon system and acquiring its replacement, the YLGM-182A Ground-Based Strategic Deterrent (GBSD). We are a uniquely-valued mission partner delivering daily technical excellence and innovative solutions to our government customers. BAE Systems has earned accolades as a "Top Workplace" in Utah based on employee feedback for three consecutive years, earning special distinction for providing a healthy work-life balance for our valued employees. We work very hard to ensure this is a great place to work!
Why Utah? You've got to see it to believe it! Utah is an amazing state with diverse geography, an eclectic culture and an exceptional quality of life. We are located north of Salt Lake City at the foot of the beautiful Wasatch Mountains. The area offers an incredible range of outdoors pursuits across the seasons including hiking, climbing, hunting, fishing, camping, boating and world-class skiing at resorts that hosted the 2002 Winter Olympics. The state is home to five amazing National Parks and an easy drive from two more; Grand Teton and, famously, the first National Park in the world, Yellowstone. The Salt Lake City area offers a vast array of cultural activities and businesses including multiple professional sports teams. It is a western states hub for exceptional, cutting-edge medical care with people traveling from across the region for a range of nationally renowned specialty care centers and doctors. The Salt Lake International Airport is expanding and offers easy, direct access to just about anywhere you want to fly.
Why GBSD? The Ground Based Strategic Deterrent (GBSD) Program is an enormous and complex "Mega-Project" modernizing the entire ICBM weapon system deployed across tens of thousands of square miles in five states. Without any doubt, GBSD is one of the DoD's most important acquisition efforts for the next decade, if not longer. It includes a complete refurbishment of hundreds of aging Minuteman III ICBM facilities to secure and support a newly designed, technologically advanced ballistic missile. It will also provide an entirely new command and control system as well as vast array of required support equipment specifically engineered to operate and sustain the new weapon system over the decades ahead. GBSD is the Department of Defense's newest official "program of record," having just achieved Milestone B. It enjoys broad, strong support at the national level. It is a long-term project -- the weapon system will deploy over a nine-year period beginning in approximately 2026, and remain operational until at least 2075. GBSD is a career-defining program that will present unique and challenging opportunities that simply are not available with smaller projects.
Tell me about this job. The senior Information System Security Manager (ISSM) will support the Air Force's Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) weapon system and the Ground Based Strategic Deterrent (GBSD) program. These are long-term sustainment and acquisition programs which are anticipated to remain operational until 2075.
This position works with Information System Security Officers (ISSO), Program Managers (PM), and Authorizing Official (AO) representatives to obtain and maintain Authority to Operate (ATO) approvals for various ICBM weapon subsystems and supporting IT systems by adhering to the Risk Management Framework (RMF). This includes system categorization and control identification, implementation, and assessment. This position is responsible for cybersecurity efforts throughout the RMF for one or more assigned programs(s) to include the development of System Security Plans, resolution of Plans of Action and Milestones (POA&Ms), review of system audits, and monitoring of corrective actions.
This position provides the opportunity to develop and hone communication, customer relationship, and leadership skills while working with a close-knit fun-loving team of other cybersecurity professionals.
The successful candidate will be energetic, self-motivated, and have the ability to adapt to a fast-paced environment with the desire to make a difference. Knowledge and experience working with the DoD's Cybersecurity processes, DIACAP and/or the Risk Management Framework (RMF) is required.
The specific responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Serves as cybersecurity technical advisor, consultant, and primary point of contact to the Authorizing Official (AO), Program Manager (PM), and Information System Owner (ISO)
- Fulfills the ISSM responsibilities defined in DoD Instructions 8500.01 and 8510.01, AFI17-101 Risk Management Framework (RMF) for the Air Force Information Technology (IT), and the "DoD Program Manager's Guidebook for Integrating the Cybersecurity Risk Management Framework (RMF) into the System Acquisition Lifecycle"
- Coordinating and negotiating with customers AOs and development teams
- Conducting offensive architecture analysis and design of defense-in-depth solutions
- Leading the development of system security plans including, security concepts of operation, risk management matrix, security control traceability matrix, security test procedures, and plan of action and milestones
- Analyzing vulnerability assessments to validate system compliance with RMF controls and DISA Security Technical Information Guidelines (STIGS)
- Leading and coordinating security test event teams to achieve accreditation milestones
- Verifying and validating vulnerability resolutions and/or mitigations
- Analyzing static code scans and dynamic code scans to detect software vulnerabilities
- Reviewing all technical changes to determine security relevance
- Supporting proposal activities, developing innovative cyber solutions and developing accurate cost estimates
This position is located at 6008 Wardleigh Rd, Hill Air Force Base, Utah
Please note, pursuant to Government contract, this position requires US Citizenship.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Bachelor of Science Degree with 10+ years of cybersecurity or IT work experience (education requirement may be waived for equivalent experience) or;
- Master of Science Degree with 8+ years of cybersecurity or IT work experience (education requirement may be waived for equivalent experience) or;
- PhD with 6+ years of cybersecurity or IT work experience (education requirement may be waived for equivalent experience)
- Able to obtain a U.S. Government Top Secret/SCI security clearance
- At least 6 years progressive responsibility in providing technical leadership.
- Previous experience as an ISSM using the RMF (or DIACAP) or experience as an ISSO and now ready to assume ISSM responsibilities.
- DoD 8570 IAM Level III certification (e.g., Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP), etc.) or ability to obtain such within 6 months of being hired
- Other cyber certifications (ISSAP-CISSP, ISSEP-CISSP, CCSP, CEH, OSCP, etc.)
- Experience or knowledge of cybersecurity, networks, system components, system protocols, COTS technology, and software development
- Experience developing external customer relationships and ability to communicate cybersecurity concepts and requirements with senior leaders
- Effective organizational, time management, and communications skills (written and verbal)
- Able to work independently, demonstrate strong initiative, and organize daily tasks with minimal supervision
- Strong communication skills (oral and written) commensurate with expected mid- to senior-level civilian and military participants from various U.S. Government agencies
BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it's what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts - defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team-making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you'll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference.
Intelligence & Security (I&S), based in McLean, Virginia, designs and delivers advanced defense, intelligence, and security solutions that support the important missions of our customers. Our pride and dedication shows in everything we do-from intelligence analysis, cyber operations and IT expertise to systems development, systems integration, and operations and maintenance services. Knowing that our work enables the U.S. military and government to recognize, manage and defeat threats inspires us to push ourselves and our technologies to new levels.
At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Back to top