SAX Space Situational Awareness Lead
BAE Systems is looking for a Technology Development Manager who will perform as the Space Situational Awareness Section Lead within the Special Activity Exploitation (SAX) research group. SAX is a cutting-edge, multidisciplinary research and engineering organization that is the FAST Labs lead for invention and application of innovative machine learning, control, and optimization approaches to learn patterns of behavior from a wide range of data sources, including real-time sensor feeds. Exploitation uses of these behavioral models include anomaly and change detection, prediction of future behavior, and recognition of complex events and activities. Applications of our technology include terrestrial, maritime, and space domains over a range of sensing modalities (e.g., radar, full motion video, radio communication) spanning the technology readiness spectrum from basic research through fielded operational systems. Our cutting edge projects and opportunities advance the frontiers of science as well as contributing to practical systems that solve real problems.
The Space Situational Awareness Section Lead will shape and lead the SAX strategy for developing, transitioning and applying advanced analytics to solve complex space situational awareness challenges. Develop and grow new customer relationships to expand and strengthen the SAX Space Situational Awareness CRAD Portfolio. Grow and manage a team of 5 - 10 research engineers while also providing direct technical support to key SSA customers.
Our ideal candidate is a strong entrepreneur who can develop novel adaptive incremental data-driven model learning and exploitation algorithms, present those ideas to colleagues and customers, write winning proposals, and then execute projects when awarded. You must have a desire to create and/or sustain lines of research by participating in proposal writing and other marketing efforts with research funding agencies such as DARPA. Typically our project workflow involves: (1) researching solutions developed in-house or published in scientific literature to determine applicability and identify strengths and weaknesses; (2) creating prototypes (typically in MATLAB) to support demonstration and evaluation of key algorithmic ideas on (often real) data; and (3) developing robust, real-time implementations suitable for target hardware/software environments. You must be able to: (1) provide research and technical leadership as well as hands-on algorithm design, implementation, and evaluation; (2) quickly adapt to changing requirements; and (3) be involved in all workflow stages. Ultimately, you would be leading a team of dedicated research engineers to execute your vision of the program you developed!
Typical Education & Experience
Bachelor's Degree and 12 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- U.S. citizenship is required, as is an active TS/SCI security clearance
- Solid experience leading exploratory research and development efforts including monitoring and guidance of team member activities
- Solid experience presenting to technical audiences
- Track record of experience demonstrating detailed knowledge (including understanding of strengths and weaknesses of various approaches), application, analysis, and development in at least one of machine learning, probabilistic reasoning, adaptive control, and/or optimization
- Solid analytic, project, and personnel leadership skills
- Strong writing and presentation skills sufficient to support: (a) creation and sustainment of lines of research through marketing via direct interaction with customers and proposal writing; and (b) publication of research results in professional, peer-reviewed journals and technical conferences
- MATLAB proficiency to perform: (1) rapid design, prototyping, analysis, and simulation of, and experimentation with, advanced algorithms and applications; and (2) data analysis
- Equally effective communication with lifelong academics, government customers, and professional engineers
Preferred Skills and Education
- Demonstrated experience in formulating and carrying out research agendas
- Record of publications will be viewed favorably
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Vice President, Finance
Chandra helps steer the overall financial direction of BAE Systems’ headquarters. She interacts with many teams to lead mergers and acquisitions, investments, and general maintenance of all the numbers.
Back to top