- Roanoke, VA
- BAE Systems, one of the world's leading defense contractors and a stable Fortune 500 Company is seeking a Safety Supervisor motivated and interested in a growth opportunity to assist in building and supporting the maintenance of a safe, accident free work environment at the government owned contractor operated Radford Virginia Army Ammunition Plant (RFAAP). The Safety Supervisor will provide safety leadership assisting with ensuring facility compliance with OSHA, Army, and corporate safety directives.
The Safety Supervisor will report to the Safety Manager and will lead a team of dedicated safety assistants (5) to oversee the safety permitting programs such as Burning /Welding, Confined Space Entry, Line Break, etc. Safety Supervisor will also lead his/her team in performing safety audits, conduct investigations, and assist in ensuring compliance with U.S. Army requirements, federal, state, and local laws and regulations, as well as corporate policies and procedures on 2 nd Shift.
2 nd shift hours: Monday-Thursday 2pm-11:30pm, every other Friday 2pm-10:30pm
Day-to-Day Functions Include:
- Help identify best practices and lead continuous improvement initiatives to reduce work process risks, raise safety awareness, and improve safe work practice.
- Collaborate in dynamic work environment that supports a safe and healthy culture.
- Lead team conducting safety audits and facility inspections to identify and support correcting potential hazards and to ensure compliance with safety regulations.
- Lead team investigating industrial accidents, near-miss incidents, and occupational injuries to support determining causes and assisting in installing preventive measures.
- Provide technical advice, coaching, guidance, motivation and mentoring to develop safety assistants.
- Lead team to complete of Burning /Welding, Confined Space Entry, and Line Break Permits.
- Assist in developing, updating, and recommending RFAAP safety programs, policies, and/or procedural changes to enhance organizational effectiveness or ensure legal compliance.
- Represent BAE Systems with regulatory agencies, corporate, and government customers regarding safety matters.
- Direct, develop, motivate and mentor department 2 nd Shift staff including developing training plans.
- Scheduling of safety assistants to ensure 2 nd Shift safety coverage at RFAAP.
- Accommodating work environment providing a 9/80 schedule (every other Friday off) to support the balance in your life and keep you performing at your best
- Opportunity to put your passion for safety and people to action in helping mold/maintain a safety program that values every individual and will pay dividends for years to come
- Bachelor degree in occupational safety, industrial hygiene, safety sciences, environmental health, or other related field (or equivalent experience) with a minimum of 4 years work experience in industrial safety.
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills and computer knowledge.
- High level of effectiveness in a changing, fast-paced but rewarding environment.
- Ability to work independently while leading a team, take initiative, and make improvements to drive safety excellence and performance.
- Functional and technical knowledge and skills of safety requirements and regulations with the ability to interpret and apply Federal OSHA and local codes to site specific situations.
- Ability to maintain a professional attitude and defuse unsettled situations to create a positive safety culture.
- At least 6 years' experience with 4 years in an industrial manufacturing facility and 2 years managing direct reports.
- Experience at a chemical and/or explosive facility and experience with government contracting desired.
- Knowledge of hazards associated with propellant manufacturing,
- Army safety regulations, engineering standards, and incident command system. Experience with conducting safety audits.
- Professional safety certifications such as Certified Safety Professional or Certified Industrial Hygienist desired, but not required.
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair...just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Back to top