Safety Health and Environment Manager - Construction
BAE Systems, one of the world's leading defense contractors and a stable Fortune 500 Company, has created a new position to focus on Safety, Health and Environmental aspects of retrofit and new construction projects at our chemical manufacturing sites in Radford, VA and Kingsport, TN. We prefer this position be located in Radford, VA, but we will consider having in located in our Kingsport, TN site.
Under the direction of the Director of Safety Health and Environment for the Ordnance Systems, Inc. business, the OSI Safety, Health and Environment (SHE) Manager shall:
- Provide strategic direction, leadership and support for the safety health and environmental functions affecting the construction and modernization efforts within the Ordnance Systems, Inc. business.
- Provide tactical direction and support as needed to implement SHE best practices, reduce/eliminate risk of injury, ensure regulatory compliance, ensure environmental permits are applied for and obtained, and drive environmental stewardship.
- Drive ownership of SHE by modernization project functional leaders and support flow down of SHE requirements to bidders and subcontractors.
- Implement SHE Management Systems in line with Platforms & Services expectations.
- Develop and maintain key performance indicators for OSI Mod projects to provide useful and valuable information to functional leaders to aid in decision making regarding SHE initiatives and resource allocation.
- Work with line management to investigate SHE incidents, to determine root causes and to implement corrective and preventive measures.
- Support OSI Mod project personnel in confirming that construction subcontractors are working in compliance with applicable OSHA requirements and federal, state, local environmental regulations including advising on corrective actions to be implemented by the subcontractors to maintain compliance.
- Support commissioning planning and implementation to ensure that appropriate SHE measures and controls are in place prior to the energization of equipment and introduction of chemicals during commissioning and trials.
- Inspect facilities, machinery, and equipment in order to identify and correct potential hazards, and to ensure safety and health regulation compliance.
- Implement, review and revise as necessary, BAE and Subcontractor safety health and environmental programs to ensure their adequacy and effectiveness.
- Conduct or direct testing of air quality, noise, and other exposures as needed to verify compliance with health and safety regulations.
- Confer with health professionals to assess health risks and develop ways to manage health issues related to occupational exposures.
- Provide post-injury case management and worker's compensation consultation to Plant Management to ensure that workers receive adequate treatment and that cases are efficiently managed.
- Other duties required to fulfill BAE and regulatory SHE requirements.
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 8 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
Bachelor's Degree with at least 8 years of experience in safety, health and environment.
Must have the ability to implement safety health and environment programs for large construction and facility modernization projects. Additionally, the individual must have experience coordinating complex projects and working with staff and other departments to complete those projects.
Must have above average computer skills (e.g., spreadsheets, word processing, and database management).
Must be able to communicate effectively in writing and verbally, including presenting information to the site's senior leadership team and regulatory agencies.
Highly motivated, organized, results-driven self-starter with an ability to work issues across a multi-layered organization in a team approach.
Must be able to coordinate multiple priorities at the same time in a fast-paced environment with little oversight or supervision and be able to work closely with staff from all levels of the organization to achieve desired results.
Preferred Skills and Education
Bachelors Degree in engineering or science related discipline.
Masters degree and at least 8 years experience in a construction or facility modernization in the chemical industry
Certification as a Safety Professional (CSP)
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair...just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Back to top