Rigger Journeyperson (2nd Shift)
- San Diego, CA
BAE Systems in San Diego is Hiring! We are searching for experienced riggers that will be responsible for lifting, moving and positioning machinery, equipment, structural parts, and other heavy loads aboard ship and in the shops.
- Shipboard rigging to include removal of the machinery and equipment on and off the ship and through narrow openings utilizing jacks, chain falls, come-a-longs and rollers.
- Shipboard machinery and equipment to include but not limited to: pumps, valves, motors, electronic equipment, shafting, etc...
- May work at heights in access of 100'.
- Riggers are also responsible for selecting rigging gear based on weight and distribution of load, availability of hoisting machinery, and the presence of obstacles which might interfere with maneuverability of incorrectly rigged hoisting gear.
- Signal workers operating cranes or other equipment to move load.
- Individuals will also be required to inspect rigging gear in accordance with safety rules and OSHA standards.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference, volume, weights of structures, equipment and materials of various shapes and sizes.
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Possesses a recognized degree, certificate, or professional standing, or has extensive knowledge, training, and experience, and can successfully demonstrate the ability to solve problems related to rigging loads.
- Knows and understands the type of signals used at the worksite, is competent in using these signals and understands the operations and limitations of the equipment, including the crane dynamics involved in swinging, raising, lowering and stopping loads and in boom deflection from hoisting loads.
- Knows and understands the relevant signal person qualification requirements specified in subpart CC (1926.1419-1926.1422; 1926.1428).
- Must pass an oral or written test and a practical test.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The employee is frequently required to stand (minimum of two hours while conducting regular work duties), walk, sit, use hands and fingers, reach with hands and arms; climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl on board ships. The employee will frequently use both hands to grasp rails while climbing, to hold and carry tools and equipment, to operate tools and machinery. The employee must be able to respond to voice or visual commands. The employee must be able to lift 50 pounds on a consistent (daily) basis. May work at heights in access of 100', may perform work in small Jon boats. WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job: wet or humid conditions (non-weather), working near moving mechanical parts, working in high, precarious places; exposure to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme cold or extreme heat; risk of electrical shock and vibration. The employee must be able to work in confined spaces. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud and shall comply with Company safety rules and OSHA standards. Must be physically and medically qualified to wear required personal protective equipment as prescribed under OSHA standards.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair...just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Back to top