RF Photonic Scientist
Technology Solutions is seeking a Principle Research Scientist to develop and mature advanced RF photonic architectures, designs, and processes. The candidate’s concepts will be used in real-time/near real-time embedded systems, and implement a new generation of system integration of prototypes, transitioning them into production of advanced military capabilities.
The work environment is fast-paced and presents many technical challenges as well as significant growth opportunities. Successful technical contributors will be comfortable working in multidisciplinary teams, present ongoing program work to customers as well as proposing concepts for new projects.
As a Principle Scientist in BAE Systems Technology Solutions (TS) in the Sensor Technologies Directorate, you will participate in the complete hardware development lifecycle. This directorate is responsible for turning next generation defense research and technology into real-time solutions for prototype systems. These systems are often tested at live ground and flight exercises in preparation for deployment on operational platforms.
This research and development position requires a highly experienced scientist to work in photonic component development in support of RF systems. This job requires a strong technical background with experience developing key analog optical components for RF systems, real-time hardware and new architecture designs. Modeling, fabrication and implementation of optical and RF signal processing is key.
Assignments will require excellent problem solving abilities, hands-on leadership and systems-level thinking. Qualified candidates will also possess in depth knowledge of system architectures, hardware, and state of the art in emerging component technologies.
Duties may include system and architecture design, interpretation of requirements on component design and performance. These requirements will be translated into modeled performance and design with oversight of semiconductor fabrication, test and hardware integration. This position may require travel up to 10% of the time to support presentations and system reviews at the employer’s discretion.
Minimum Education and Experience Bachelor’s Degree and 8 years work experience or equivalent experience Required Skills and Education
- Electro-Optic photonics and RF domain experience including analog optical design, signal processing and system implementation.
- Photonic specifications and architecture development
- Modeling of semiconductors and non-linear designs to achieve performance goals
- Technical depth and demonstrated experience in semiconductor design and fabrication.
- Exposure to RF systems and development
- System integration including interface definition, system configuration, and contributing to RF system integration Motivated, team-oriented individual with strong problem-solving abilities
- Strong interpersonal communication skills including writing and presentation skills
Preferred Skills and Education
- PhD with a minimum of 4 plus years or Master Degree with minimum of 6 plus years or more experience in photonic related scientific fields.
- Advanced degree in Physics, Electrical Engineering or Optical Engineering
- RF component design and test Modulators, circulators, detectors and related semiconductor component design and test Heterogeneous photonic semiconductor chip integration
- Matlab or similar modeling experience
- Customer interactions
- Secret Clearance
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression EEO Career Site Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities . females . veterans . individuals with disabilities . sexual orientation . gender identity . gender expression
Back to top