Radiation Effects Test Development Engineer
The Space Systems business at BAE Systems in Manassas Va is seeking a Radiation Assurance Test Engineer to develop test plans, tests, and perform analysis to ensure deliverable hardware meets the requirements to operate in ionizing radiation environments.
The Space Systems business is known as an industry leader for its suite of radiation hardened products. BAE Systems Manassas leverages decades of expertise in designing and building robust Space products. BAE Systems Space products can be found on almost all commercial, civil and national security space missions. These missions include GPS, weather monitoring, satellite TV and radio, and exploring the universe (most notably the computers on all Mars rovers). From semiconductor components to ASICS to Circuit Card Assemblies and Sub-Systems, our products are ubiquitous throughout Earth's orbit and beyond. Space Systems creates capability that supports their overall mission: "We protect those who protect us."
The Radiation Assurance Test Engineer position requires using knowledge in radiation effects, including interactions in electronics devices and materials. This position requires developing and debugging complex test designs, performing radiation tests on complex devices, analyzing the test data to assess compliance to specifications and requirements, and submitting timely test reports. Test environments may include Total Ionizing Dose (LDR and HDR), Single Event Effects, Prompt Dose, and Displacement Damage.
The engineer in this position will also participate with the radiation team to submit bid and proposal efforts, develop statements of work and test plans, evaluate test performance, and analysis. The Radiation Assurance Test Engineer uses the system radiation requirements, and the part specifications, to prepare a Radiation Hardness Assurance Plan with support from senior staff. The highly engaged engineer will support a cross discipline team of design and system engineers, while providing radiation test and analysis results, advice on requirements flow down, modeling and analysis reports, and recommendations for mitigating radiation effects. The Radiation Assurance Test Engineer supports the Parts, Materials, and Process Control Board to assure radiation requirements are met, and works directly with the board, supply chain, Design and Quality Engineering, to achieve a balance of cost, schedule, and performance objectives with respect to radiation requirements and risk. The engineer exhibits sound interpersonal skills involving interfacing, coordinating and negotiating with company personnel, customers and suppliers.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 2 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- B.S.E.E. degree with 2 - 4 + years experience,
- or a higher degree M.S.E.E. or PhD considered, with demonstrated experience in the design, analysis, and testing of electronic hardware for operation in radiation environments
- Experience with FPGA test solutions design, general purpose test equipment integration, diagnostics equipment including analyzers and scopes
- Familiarity with SpaceRad or CRÈME modeling tools
- Solid electrical engineering, digital and analog circuit fundamentals and lab skills
- Highly organized and capable of planning and guiding complex technical work
- Confidence in preparing and presenting accurate assessments to Customers and Program Management.
- Excellent technical writing and verbal communication skills
- Exhibits sound interpersonal skills involving interfacing, coordinating and negotiating with company personnel, customers and suppliers, and presenting at conferences
- Experience with Labview development tools is desired
- Applicant must be a United States citizen or permanent resident alien
Preferred Skills and Education
Experience with any of the following would be a plus:
- TS/SCI Eligible
- National Instruments LabVIEW experience
- Experience developing tests for microprocessors, or ASICs, or FPGA's
- Experience with testing RF or Optical interface devices
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top