Quality and Continuous Improvement Manager
Overall Quality and Continuous Improvement responsibilities for the entire Fort Wayne site. Develops, modifies, applies and maintains quality evaluation and control systems and protocols for processing materials into partially finished or finished materials product. Devises and implements methods and procedures for inspecting, testing and evaluating the precision and accuracy of products and production equipment. Designs and analyzes inspection and testing processes, mechanisms and equipment, and conducts quality assurance tests. May be certified in lean and six-sigma quality methodologies and utilize quality tools to help drive continuous improvement.
- Work at this level is innovative with focus on continuous improvement.
- Responsibilities entail translating work area strategy into annual operational plans with an 18 month - 2 year (rolling) focus.
- Accountability is for broad operating systems and processes, and for providing context to operational and service levels of work.
- Interpretation requires decision making based on a broad spectrum of possibilities with judgment applied to areas of uncertainty which may not be covered by existing rules or knowledge of "what to do."
- Work is about applying best practice, operational trends, patterns and cycles and being accountable for resource utilization (people, raw materials, services, technology, and money).
- Recommendations for changes to services / products / systems is based on analyzing trends and patterns identified through real-time operational performance data, innovation, and on fine-tuning in line with changing work practices.
- Provide operational input to overall business strategy
- Contribute fully to annual operations planning for the business
- Develop Operational strategy with 2-year vision for Quality and Continuous Improvement
- Ensure strategy supports customer advocacy
- Maintain a team that is structured and staffed correctly
- Identify and drive development needs, including coaching, mentoring and training requirements
- Coach and mentor team members as required
- Drive collaboration within team and with other teams
- Define and clarify roles and responsibilities for team
- Ensure that all team members fully understand their individual and collective contribution and accountabilities
- Collaborate with other team leaders, when necessary, to ensure team is supported with adequate staff/resources
- Establish effective communications framework throughout the team
- Address personnel issues, escalating these to Human Resources when necessary
- Drive a culture of Inspiration@Work and workforce integrity
- Proactively monitor and drive quality initiatives relating to design and process compliance and improvement
- Own and ensure closure of emergent quality issues
- Eliminate customer disruption regardless of cause
- Support external (sector level, customer, etc) quality data needs
- Ensure operational compliance with industry and business quality standards and procedures (eg. ISO, AS, FAA, CAAC, EASA, etc)
- Host customer visits and quality audits
- Ensure execution of quality systems within and across all teams (i.e., define quality systems, audit execution, ensure accuracy of instructions, train team members, as needed)
- Directly champion and support the site Continuous Improvement efforts
- Develop plant-wide strategy and vision including short term and long term plan for process improvements and training efforts
- Provide mentoring and coaching on Lean and Six Sigma tools and processes
- Encourage environment of open thinking to drive creative ways of problem solving
- Direct oversite of plant wide training requirements
- Develops short and long term training strategy to ensure compliance to customer and oversite authority standards and procedures
- Institutes standardized approach to assessing needs and works with area leaders to ensure all training requirements are completed on plan
- Performs annual reviews to identify new requirements and/or areas of improvement
- Develop and maintain effective customer relationships that give credibility to operations
- Drive continuous improvement for and with customers
- Understand and address customer concerns timeously and appropriately
- Develop and present effective communications and presentations for customer engagement
- Ensure operation is a showplace to enhance business growth objectives
- Ensure responsiveness (problem resolution, corrective action response, etc) meets customer expectations
- Participation in project management for special projects
- Lead cross site initiatives
- Participation in external leadership opportunities
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 10 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Previous manufacturing or quality experiences in electronics assembly
- Solid manufacturing process knowledge/experience
- Soldering experience and knowledge of assembly requirements and specifications
- IPC J-STD-001, IPC-A-610 familiarity
- Strong written and oral communication/presentation skills
- Previous experience leading high performance teams
- Experience interacting with external customers
- Provide clarity to operations in relation to customer expectations with regard to compliance
- Experience in continuous improvement in regard to Quality
- AS9100 proficiency/experience
- Lean Manufacturing training
- Six-Sigma-Black Belt certification
- Advanced-level technical skills and knowledge of technical requirements and system flows skills relevant to job
- Masters Degree in Technical field
BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere - from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact - for our customers and the communities we serve.
Back to top