Project Engineering Manager/Project Technical Lead - FAST Labs Sensor Processing and Exploitation (SPX)
- Burlington, MA
The FAST Labs™ business area is the innovative research and development engine within the Electronic Systems (ES) sector of BAE Systems. At FAST Labs™, we drive research efforts for leading academic and DoD research institutions by iteratively building systems and demonstrations that show our customers the art of the possible. You'll be among the brightest minds, working on the aerospace and defense industry's most difficult problems. We put our customers first - exemplified by our missions: "We Protect Those Who Protect Us®" and "We Innovate For Those Who Move The World™." Sound like a team you want to be a part of? Come build your career with BAE Systems.
We are seeking a Project Engineering Manager (PEM) for FAST Labs™ Sensor Processing and Exploitation (SPX) product line. SPX is a widely diverse and growing product line, with R&D efforts ranging from deep sea to space-based applications. Our core research is foundational in the application of the latest machine learning and artificial intelligence techniques to enhance the effectiveness of our warfighters.
The successful candidate will report to the SPX Product Line Engineering Lead, and will manage the engineering activities on one or more projects in the SPX project portfolio. You will lead multi-disciplinary engineering teams executing research and development projects ranging from studies to full system prototypes. You will be the engineering focal point for all activity within the projects, including bid and proposal support for engineering content, engineering strategy and integrated plans on programs, engineering staffing, issue reporting, and risk and opportunity management.
Specific job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Providing overall project technical leadership; planning, executing, and managing all engineering efforts within the project.
- Collaborating with program managers/principle investigators to ensure program goals, requirements, and needs are understood and appropriately resourced.
- Developing staffing requirements for the program and interfacing with functional engineering managers to ensure the program is adequately staffed.
- Monitoring project plans and execution to ensure engineering activities meet technical, schedule, and cost requirements.
- Providing timely and accurate status reports, as well as prompt notification of emerging risks and issues.
- Working with program managers and PLEL to appropriately tailor company processes and procedures for use on the program. Then ensuring engineering efforts are planned and executed in accordance with the tailored processes and procedures, and best practices.
- Ensuring preparation and approval of competitive engineering bids that are executable, meet established price-to-win targets, and grow the business.
- Ensuring objective review, assessment, and verification of engineering work products and contract deliverables.
Required Skills and Education
- Must hold a Secret level DoD security clearance
- Extensive familiarity of both ground and space segments of space systems
- Experience with satellite constellation management
- Demonstrated ability to lead a cross-functional engineering team that includes systems, mechanical, optical, electrical, and software disciplines.
- Experience managing project scope (CDRLs/Requirements), schedule, budget, risks, and deliverables.
- Solid project performance management (using Microsoft Project as well as other applicable software) and reporting.
- Superior communication skills with ability to act as the liaison between engineering and other functions including Program Management, manufacturing, finance, operations, customer support, etc.
- Strong management skills to motivate teams to deliver outstanding results in all aspects of product development, manufacturing, and product delivery.
- Hold a Top Secret security clearance
- Earn Value Management System experience in determining schedule and cost performance.
- Positive approach to new ideas and ability to think "outside the box".
- Product development leadership experience in defense-related products.
BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere - from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact - for our customers and the communities we serve.
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Arun P.Program Engineering Manager
Arun oversees the technical and operational aspects of engine control system projects for the company’s commercial airline clients around the world.
Back to top