Project Engineering Manager - FAST Labs™ Autonomy, Controls, and Estimation
- Arlington, VA
The FAST Labs™ business area is the innovative research and development engine within the Electronic Systems (ES) sector of BAE Systems. At FAST Labs™, we drive research efforts for leading academic and DoD research institutions by iteratively building systems and demonstrations that show customers what is possible. You'll be among the brightest minds, working on the aerospace and defense industry's most difficult problems. We put our customers first - exemplified by our missions: "We Protect Those Who Protect Us®" and "We Innovate For Those Who Move The World™." Sound like a team you want to be a part of? Come build your career with BAE Systems.
We are seeking a Project Engineering Manager (PEM) for FAST Labs™ Autonomy, Controls, and Estimation (ACE) product line. ACE is a diverse and growing product line, with R&D efforts ranging across mission planning, auto-routing, tracking, fusion, and manned-unmanned teaming mission applications. Our core research derives from game theory, graph analytics, multiple-hypothesis testing, advanced statistics, and artificial intelligence. We also seek to scale mission impacts into new mission domains, time increments, and numbers of agents/swarm sizes.
The successful candidate will report to the ACE Product Line Engineering Lead, and will manage the engineering activities on one or more projects in the ACE project portfolio. You will lead multi-disciplinary engineering teams executing research and development projects ranging from studies to full system prototypes. You will be the engineering focal point for all activity within the projects, including bid and proposal support for engineering content, engineering strategy and integrated plans on programs, engineering staffing, issue reporting, and risk and opportunity management. This position is located in Arlington, VA. Specific job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Providing overall project technical leadership; planning, executing, and managing all engineering efforts within the project.
- Collaborating with program managers/principle investigators to ensure program goals, requirements, and needs are understood and appropriately resourced.
- Developing staffing requirements for the program and interfacing with functional engineering managers to ensure the program is adequately staffed.
- Monitoring project plans and execution to ensure engineering activities meet technical, schedule, and cost requirements.
- Providing timely and accurate status reports, as well as prompt notification of emerging risks and issues.
- Working with program managers and PLEL to appropriately tailor company processes and procedures for use on the program. Then ensuring engineering efforts are planned and executed in accordance with the tailored processes and procedures, and best practices.
- Ensuring preparation and approval of competitive engineering bids that are executable, meet established price-to-win targets, and grow the business.
- Ensuring objective review, assessment, and verification of engineering work products and contract deliverables.
Required Skills and Education
- An active Secret security clearance; Eligible to obtain Top Secret if required
- Bachelor's degree (BS) in an engineering or science discipline with 10 years' work experience, or equivalent.
- Experience leading diverse multi-disciplinary teams in complex product development projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Positive, creative approach to problem solving and ability to think "outside the box".
- Proven ability to lead, manage, and inspire a technical staff with diverse experience, technical views, and individual differences
- Demonstrated project engineering management skills, including organizational design, planning, estimating, design management, and product verification
- Ability to share knowledge and transfer technology across organizational boundaries
- Strong team building skills that enable collaboration and coordination within and across teams, and between technical and non-technical functions
- An active Top Secret security clearance
- Master's degree (MS) in an engineering or science discipline
- Earned Value Management System (EVMS) and Control Account Management (CAM)
- Certified Six Sigma specialist
- Experience leading agile product development
- Experience leading organizational change and/or introducing new processes
- Experience planning and executing Independent Research and Development (IRAD) projects.
BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere - from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact - for our customers and the communities we serve.
Back to top