Project Engineering Manager
Job Description - Aircraft Integration Project Technical Lead (PTL)
The Aircraft Integration Project Technical Lead (Engineering Manager) for BAE Systems Optical Electronic Warfare Systems (OEWS) will manage all aspects of the Engineering Services Projects for aircraft modifications, repair and maintenance of DoD or FAA aircraft. The position is located in the Huntsville, AL and will require periodic travel to other BAE Systems facilities, customer sites, and aircraft modification sites depending on the contract.
Job functions include:
- Work with government customers and contracting partners
- Leadership of multi-engineering disciplines (Hardware, Software, Systems, and Test Equipment) to develop the correct technical solution within program cost and schedule commitments
- Coordinate and manage the engineering activities on the assigned project(s) to comply with cost, schedule and technical requirements and established engineering practices in order to meet project commitments.
- Serve as the Engineering focal point for the project for integrated plans, issues reporting, risk management, etc.
- Coordinate technical input for proposals and participate in subsequent contract negotiations
- Interface with project management, engineering cost account managers, design teams and functional engineering organizations to obtain agreement on allocated requirements, to resolve/clarify/revise system level requirements issues and ambiguities in configuration item design during the program development phase.
- Review all technical changes to requirements from the program office. Coordinate the analysis of the impact of technical changes to schedule/budget and ensure implementation and consistent design integrity.
- Review and monitor metrics on the project and provide technical support to the program manager.
- Interface with functional engineering organizations to ensure programs are adequately staffed and executed.
- Approve engineering cost account manager assignments for the project.
- Manage risks and opportunities in cooperation with the assigned system engineering manager and across other teams
- Conduct technical bid reviews and independent design reviews
- Coordinate training requirements with functional managers to ensure aircraft integration-specific skill sets and capabilities are established and maintained
- Update and maintain IRMS Staffing tool to accurately reflect staffing requirements and functional allocations
- Work with customer to maintain notional schedule of program activities such as aircraft installation, NRE efforts, kit manufacturing, etc.
- Mentor and guide engineers involved in program activities
- Ensure engineering team adhere to all aspects of company policy with respect to security, safety, export control, ethics and engineering rigor
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 8 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
Travel Percentage: Up to 50% and may include international travel
Required Security Clearance: Active DOD Security Clearance at Secret Level
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Requirements: Bachelors of Science in Engineering or related field and 8 years' experience
- FAA Modification and Certification Experience and DoD AWR Certification experience
- Subcontractor Technical Management Oversight Experience of engineering services type contracts
- Minimum of 3 years successfully managing large mixed team hardware/software development and production projects greater than $10M.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and execute a program
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage a multi-disciplinary engineering team
- Demonstrated ability to manage program risk and opportunities
- Demonstrated ability to achieve customer's technical objectives while achieving cost and schedule targets
- Demonstrated expertise and involvement with technical programs and engineering product development for military or commercial applications
- Demonstrated success managing all engineering aspects of the design and development cycle: requirements definition, design, integration, test and delivery of complex systems.
- Demonstrated experience with cost management (Prior Project Manager / Control Account Manager (CAM) experience, including managing earned value metrics, such as CPI and SPI)
- Practical understanding of engineering development methods and practices for all engineering disciplines.
- Proven strength in organizational and personal communication skills, both verbal and written
- Demonstrated decision-making clarity in an ambiguous and uncertain environment.
- Proficiency using MS Office and MS Project
- Experience with US Department of Defense product development.
- Experience with design, development, and field testing of Threat Warning System for the US Navy, Army and/or US Air Force
- Subcontractor Management Oversight Experience of engineering services type contracts for aircraft modification, repair, and maintenance
- Demonstrated knowledge of avionics and aircraft systems
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Arun P.Program Engineering Manager
Arun oversees the technical and operational aspects of engine control system projects for the company’s commercial airline clients around the world.
Back to top