Printed Wiring Board Assembly (PBA) Engineer - Product Producibility and Launch
The Printed Circuit Board Assembly (PBA) Engineer for Product Producibility and Launch (P2L) provides direct support to both the hardware engineering and Printed Circuit Board Assembly teams to further enhance PBA design capabilities in the areas of Design For Manufacturability (DFM), Design For Testability (DFT), Design To Unit Production Cost (DTUPC), and Transition to Production (TTP).
The P2L PBA Engineer will functionally report to the P2L Capability Group (CG) Director, within the ES Defense Hardware Engineering Organization. For program execution, the P2L PBA Engineer will report to the Printed Wiring Board (PWB) Capability Group Lead and will be a working member of this CG. In this role, he will engage with the hardware design engineering, program engineering, and manufacturing teams at the earliest stages of PBA design. The PBA P2L Engineer will remain engaged thorough all phases of the product life cycle up to and including low rate production, handing off the design when mature and ready for the production environment. Focusing on affordability, producibility, and new product introduction (NPI) activities early in the design process, the P2L PBA Engineer will help drive technology trends into our factories to maximize design flexibility, increase manufacturing capability and lower production costs. Core responsibilities include:
- Provide technical expertise in review of circuit card product. Work closely with Hardware Engineering and Manufacturing to archive producible PWB and PBA designs
- Lead the review of PWB stack-up and material construction; serve as liaison with PWB bare board fabricators for producibility/DFM reviews. Work to resolve outside PBA Supplier issues
- Lead the review of PBA component lay-out prior to circuit routing to optimize assembly and PWB fabrication.
- Provide input to mechanical considerations/envelope drawings related to PBA product
- Provide the technical ability to recognize shortfalls in the PBA process or tools to identify changes to meet today’s technology requirements
- Possess intimate knowledge of IPC 610 and J-STD 001
- Identify methods or processes to improve PWB and PBA quality and yield based on technology demand
- Stay current with both PBA rigid and flex design specifications and technology
- Review production metrics and assist in affordability initiatives to reduce product cost and schedule
- Provide feedback on PBA component selection to electrical engineering
- Attend configuration control boards (CCB) for design package release as well as program PC design kick-off meetings
- Support DMS activities as related to PBA designs
- Ensures preferred part and supplier selection alignment with supply chain strategy.
- Serves as conduit between the Engineering team and Operations for resolving technical problems in the area of PWB and PBA design; provides rapid prototyping technical support
- Understands and implements a zero defect mentality
Minimum Education and Experience Bachelor’s Degree and 12 years work experience or equivalent experience Required Skills and Education
- Strong background / experience with both the design and manufacturing of PWBs and PBAs with emphasis on DFM, DFT, New Product Introduction (NPI) to rate manufacturing, manufacturing process, and manufacturing readiness
- Possess intimate knowledge and experience with IPC 610 and J-STD 001
- Strong background in engineering and manufacturing principles
Preferred Skills and Education
- Practical understanding of product development and the DoD product development lifecycle
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression EEO Career Site Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities . females . veterans . individuals with disabilities . sexual orientation . gender identity . gender expression
Back to top