Principle Supplier Quality Engineer
We are looking for an experienced Supplier Quality Engineer to implement tools and processes to ensure suppliers improve on current products with robust plans and deliver first time quality to BAE program customers. Additionally, this person will be responsible for qualifying new suppliers for the program. The person will also investigate, evaluate, and resolve supplier quality problems and conducting audits, analyzing defect trends, and leading continuous improvement projects. The Supplier Quality Engineer will conduct capability assessments that verify supplier qualifications, travel to assigned suppliers, and lead multiple projects to completion. You must be a self-starting problem solver who will utilize your analytical skills to find innovative solutions to quality-related issues. A strong desire and mindset to drive actions and projects to closure without being prompted is a must. Strong communication skills are required to ensure suppliers understand requirements and expectations, make progress reports and present findings. Ability to summarize briefing/findings at an executive leadership level.
This Supplier Quality Engineer role will lead implementation of APQP/PPAP process implantation for a number of key supplier on a high volume program, perform problem solving, insure corrective action is affected when needed, and initiate Lean/Six Sigma manufacturing projects for the assigned program/project.
- Develop, advance, implement and monitor Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) processes throughout the supply chain and its associated methods / tools, from part/process design through to finalization of the Production Parts Approval Process (PPAP) and release to production.
- Ensure functional and cross functional communication, guidance, and mentoring for APQP implementation and performance improvements.
- Ensure compliance and flow down of requirements.
- Monitor and support current and selected future suppliers through the implementation of the APQP process.
- Function as a liaison between purchasing, engineering, operations and suppliers to resolve quality and delivery issues.
- Present supplier performance metrics to supplier management and drive proactive actions to mitigate performance risk for quality and delivery.
- Utilize supplier Scorecards/metrics and analytical tools to quantify performance levels of individual suppliers and work with those suppliers to develop improvement plans to achieve 100% quality performance
- Evaluate and assess the impact of nonconforming product and suppliers' corrective actions, including timely communication with the program team of both.
- Champion problem solving and root cause analysis activities with suppliers to eliminate recurrence of non-conformances
- Perform Production Process Verifications (PPV's) at supplier locations and participate or lead PPAP review process including Run at Rate and other aspects of APQP
- Perform and Evaluate First Article Inspections per the requirements of AS9102 as well as train suppliers to meet BAE Systems expectations
- Drive "Zero Defect" culture within the supply base
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 6 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Experience in a high volume manufacturing environment
- MFG/supplier Experience with PCB, Cables, Mechanical / machine parts, etc.
- APQP (Control Plans, PFMEA, MSA, PPAP, etc.)
- Knowledge of statistical/advanced statistical methodologies
- Strong understanding of 8d problem solving methodology
- Ability to generate cost reductions
- Working knowledge of ISO 9001/ AS9100 or equivalent Quality Management Systems
- Working knowledge of commodity inspection/test, equipment and instrumentation
- Understanding of drawings and GD&T with ability to determine compliance
- Experience executing or coaching suppliers on AS9102 FAIs and PPVs
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt training / certification
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or Technical field
- Lean Six Sigma Black Belt
- IPC-A-600 or IPC-A-610 certification
- Proficiency with Minitab or similar software package
- Experience with Special Processes, Product Production Line Validation, test, equipment, and instrumentation
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Vice President, Finance
Chandra helps steer the overall financial direction of BAE Systems’ headquarters. She interacts with many teams to lead mergers and acquisitions, investments, and general maintenance of all the numbers.
Back to top