Principal Systems Engineer
This position may be located in Kingsport, TN or Radford, VA, and will support both sites with up to 25% travel.
BAE Systems, one of the world's leading defense contractors and a stable Fortune 500 Company, is hiring a Principal Systems Engineer at the Holston Army Ammunition Plant in Kingsport, TN.
An ideal candidate will have experience working on a wide variety of projects within the Department of Defense and experience influencing technical and non-technical colleagues to successfully progress projects from inception to commissioning.
The Principal Systems Engineer will work with engineers in chemical, mechanical, electrical and civil / structural as well as colleagues in program management and contracts to successfully deliver projects.
The Principal Systems Engineer will be a key member of our Systems Engineering Team working simultaneously as the primary Systems Engineer on multiple complex programs. The Principal Systems Engineer will support the end-to-end programmatic and technical lifecycle.
- Interface with the customer and participate in gate reviews.
- Write Statements of Work (SOWs), review proposals, and interface with subcontractors.
- Write Systems Engineering Management Plans (SEMPs), track technical risk, develop metrics against Key Performance Parameters (KPPs).
- Create operational concepts, participate in analysis of alternatives and trade studies.
- Develop functional requirements.
- Assess informal lessons learned and incorporate as appropriate.
- Develop use cases and high level Systems Engineering models.
- Requirements management, traceability, and verification through design and test.
- Know when to tailor Systems Engineering processes or develop new processes.
BAE Systems helps protect those who protect us. Our engineering department supports the Holston Army Ammunition Plan in Kingsport, TN and the Radford Army Ammunition Plant in Radford, VA by providing designs for new manufacturing facilities which produce safer explosives and propellants for our government and commercial customers. Holston and Radford AAPs have provided high quality explosives for our armed forces since WWII and will continues to push the frontier of energetic material synthesis and manufacturing. Learn more about this area of our business at www.beasystems.com/OSIjobs.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 6 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- BS in Engineering or related technical field.
- Experience in Leading Systems Engineering activities.
- Experience in every phase of program lifecycle.
- Experience in use case development.
- Experience in technical risk management.
- Experience in requirements analysis and development.
- Experience in requirements management, traceability, and verification.
- Experience in requirements and configuration management tool use.
- Experience working with DoD customer.
- Experience in Systems Engineering early phase concept development and high level modeling.
- Experience in developing maintainability, safety, and human factors requirements.
- Experience in Test Planning.
- Experience in Systems Engineering metrics development and tracking.
- Experience in complex real time systems or System of Systems.
- Experience in manufacturing, chemical processing, or industrial construction.
- Master's degree in Systems Engineering a plus.
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. Platforms & Services designs, develops, produces, supports, maintains, modernizes and upgrades armored combat vehicles, wheeled vehicles, naval guns, surface ship combatants, commercial vessels, missile launchers, artillery systems, military ordnance, and protective wear and armor. Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top