Principal Systems Engineer
- Cedar Rapids, IA
BAE Systems is looking for a Principal Systems Engineer with a passion for engineering and the desire to be part of an innovative, dedicated team responsible for designing, developing, and testing of industry-leading navigation products.
In our Navigation & Sensor Solutions SATNAV Systems department, you will become part of a Systems Engineering and Integration Team developing Modernized M-Code GPS Receivers for ground and weapons defense programs. The team is responsible for the complete systems product development process including requirements analysis and capture, design, integration and product verification including operations and customer support. Developing military GPS products with the latest technology and maintaining our legacy receivers, this systems engineering team works closely with hardware and software development teams during the development process as well as in GPS labs to integrate and test products using equipment to facilitate live and simulated signals and environments.
Our team is looking for a new member interested in solving complex problems and creatively designing advanced and alternative navigation systems. This individual will execute systems engineering design and development of GPS products. The successful candidate will have design and development experience in Systems Engineering and be capable of collaborating with cross-functional teams. Additional responsibilities may include developing technical reports, presentations, and verification artifacts as well as performing trade studies, work estimates and integration activities.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Candidates for this role should possess a Bachelor's degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math (STEM) discipline and 4 years of prior relevant experience or an Advanced degree and 2 years of prior relevant experience
- Ability to obtain a DoD Security Clearance (US Citizenship required)
- Experience with system requirements capture, design, and decomposition
- Experience with systems tools (DOORS, JAMA, JIRA, etc.)
- Time management skills - ability to work unsupervised, multi-task, and coordinate work
- Effectively interact and build trust with team members from many different backgrounds, including engineering management and engineering teams
- Effective communication (written, verbal, and interpersonal)
- Leadership as a part of program execution
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Knowledge of or experience with Lean-Agile principles and Agile Teams.
- Experience in GPS development and/or knowledge of GPS signal processing.
- Experience with GPS simulators.
- Experience with modern software languages (e.g. Java, C, C++, C#, Python, perl, etc.)
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it's what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts - defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team-making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you'll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems' game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere - from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact - for our customers and the communities we serve. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Back to top