Principal System Safety Engineer
Point of Contact (POC) for System Safety / Product Safety engineering support of development programs ensuring safety, consistent with mission requirements and company policy, is designed into systems, subsystems, and support equipment as required by government contracts. Develops program plans and manages program safety activities including acting as primary interface with customer's safety organization. Conducts rigorous safety analyses that identify potential hazards in design and strives to eliminate or mitigate these hazards through design influence and/or development of appropriate warnings and training. Review safety work assigned to other engineers to ensure completeness. Influences design through interactions with various technical disciplines and works across management lines in cross-function organizations. Ensures technical outcomes are consistent with established engineering principles and practices and that customer and company technical, system, performance, and quality requirements are met. Ability to bid programs then monitor cost and schedule performance using an earned value metrics system.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Executes an MIL-STD-882 Safety Practices based program. Acts independently to support program and customer's needs. Accountable for ensuring product safety risks are identified, minimalized, well documented, and presented to the customer.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 4 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
Bachelor's Degree (relevant discipline) and 4 years of relevant work experience
- Experience implementing a System Safety Program using MIL-STD-882; defense program experience and development environment, a plus.
- Demonstrated experience dealing with cause and effect. Candidate must be able to think beyond what is in front of them; visualize potential operating conditions, use and miss use of the product.
- Coordinate analysis support across multiple engineering disciplines (i.e. electrical, mechanical, software, chemical, etc ...) and understand the analysis output.
- Demonstrated experience identifying hazards and developing mitigation strategies.
- Experience tracking mitigation implementation and working with the government customer to assess and accept final product safety risk for each of the hazard
- Working knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures of a relevant technical field of specialization.
- Must be computer literate and comfortable entering technical data.
- Ability to operate in a highly dynamic team environment
- Provide work direction and overseeing work products of less experienced safety engineers.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with customers and effectively communicate with them to resolve complex technical problems.
- Practical experience with MIL-STD-1472, Human Factors Engineering
- Practical experience performing Reliability analyses: FMECA, Failure Rate Predictions
- Experience in Software Safety; evaluating Software Requirements and software impact to an overall system, understanding of Software Threads
- Experience reviewing and evaluating electrical circuit diagrams
- Experience working with the test community to direct Safety Criticality Testing.
- Specialized technical knowledge of relevant military and commercial design standards.
- Experience in Munitions Safety and/or Munition Testing
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. With headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, this Platform and Services Group of BAE Systems employs nearly 11,000 professionals at more than 30 locations worldwide. Platform and Services is a global leader in the design, development, production, and service support of armored combat vehicles, major and minor caliber naval guns and missile launchers, canisters, artillery systems, and intelligent munitions. People are the greatest asset in any Company. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top