Principal Supplier Quality Engineer
We are looking for a Supplier Quality Principal Engineer with experience in the manufacturing, inspection, and acceptance of high reliability Printed Wired Boards of varying complexities. This professional will implement tools and processes to ensure suppliers have robust manufacturing and acceptance plans to deliver first time quality to BAE Systems. The role requires both experience and certification to IPC-A-600 as well as a comprehensive working knowledge of IPC-6012, IPC-6013, IPC-6018, IPC-TM-650, MIL-STD-883 and subordinate PWB related standards/guidelines. The selected candidate will also investigate, evaluate, resolve and prevent quality issues by conducting audits, analyzing defect trends, leading continuous improvement projects, and applying corrective & preventive action tools. The Supplier Quality Principal Engineer will conduct assessments that verify supplier capabilities, will travel to assigned suppliers, and lead multiple supplier quality projects to completion. This must be a self-starting problem solver who will utilize analytical skills to find innovative solutions to quality-related issues. Strong communication skills are required to ensure suppliers understand requirements and expectations; make progress reports and present findings.
This role will be reporting to the Regional Director of Supplier Quality.
Expected Travel requirement: Approximately 50%. This will be a mix of local, day visits as well as some overnight travel, outside the local area.
Additionally you will:
• Utilize supplier Scorecards/metrics and analytical tools to quantify performance levels of individual suppliers. Work with those suppliers to develop improvement plans towards achieving 100% quality performance.
• Evaluate the impact of nonconforming product and assess suppliers' corrective actions.
• Champion problem solving and root cause analysis activities with suppliers to eliminate recurrence of non-conformances.
• Perform Source Inspection of product at supplier locations.
• Perform and Evaluate First Article Inspections per the requirements of AS9102 as well as train suppliers to meet BAE's expectations.
• Drive "Zero Defect" mentality within the supply base.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 6 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Work Experience in a Supplier Quality Engineering role
- Experience in Aerospace or a Defense Electronics Prime Contract environment
- Working knowledge of AS9100 Quality System and AS9102B First Article Requirements and Source Inspections
- Experience with electrical/mechanical inspections, product test, equipment and instrumentation
- Direct knowledge of Manufacturing processes and supply chain logistics from raw material to finished goods
- Effective, practical problem solver using structured problem solving methods and systems
- Effective communicator, able to express ideas clearly, directly and objectively
- Certification on IPC-A-600
- Working knowledge and familiarity with IPC-6012, IPC-6013, IPC-6018, IPC-TM-650, MIL-STD-31032, MIL-PRF-38534, MIL-STD-883
- Proficient experience Product Production Line Validation, test, equipment, instrumentation and qualification of Mechanical and Fabricated products
- Previous experience in the PCB/PWB manufacturing industry favored
- Working knowledge of PCBA/CCA inspection/test, equipment and instrumentation, familiarity with IPC-A-610 or certification favored.
- Experience with product test, equipment and instrumentation, knowledge of thermal processes, welding and brazing, finishes and coatings, nondestructive testing, fabrication, composites and other common processes common in the Aerospace and Defense Industries
- Familiarity with APQP and PPAP and process tools such as PFMEA and Control Plan
- Practical experience with Lean Manufacturing and Lean Six Sigma
- Green / Black Belt certification from a recognized organization
- Working knowledge of the principles and the purpose of a Quality Management System
- Eligibility to obtain a security clearance from the Department of Defense
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top