Principal Software Engineer - Image Processimg
If you are a technology driven individual who loves to create cutting edge software, this is the career opportunity for you. The FAST Labs (FS) business area is the innovative research and development engine within the Electronic Systems (ES) Sector of BAE that helps drive research efforts for leading academic and DoD research institutions by iteratively building software systems and demonstrations that show customers what is possible. We then help turn those research prototypes into differentiators for ES which has products fielded everywhere from the depths of the Earth's oceans to Jupiter. Many engineers at FAST Labs have made significant contributions to projects for the nation's most prestigious research organizations including DARPA, Army Research Labs, and Air Force Research Labs.
As a Principal Engineer in FAST Labs Engineering, you will lead a cross-functional team under the guidance and mentorship of a Sr. Principal II or Chief Engineer to demonstrate the solutions to some of the United States' most pressing problems. You will help break down and estimate functionality, and provide feedback to project leadership such as improvements to system designs, algorithms or user interfaces.
As a GPU programming and cloud computing subject matter expert (SME), you will apply your expertise to increase performance of new and existing software through parallelization techniques.
As a technical representative and owner of systems and products, you will occasionally travel (about 10% of the time) to customer sites for meetings and technical discussions and participate in field events and flight tests.
As a member of the Software Engineering Directorate, you will have opportunities to develop strong and increasingly complex software skills and stay current in the software discipline. The organization focuses on career development of our software engineers and advancement of the craft of software engineering.
Typical Education & Experience
Bachelor's Degree and 8 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- A Secret Security Clearance is required
- Current Java, C++ or Python software development experience on Linux
- CUDA development
- AWS C2S/Govcloud Experience
- Excellent team player who is willing to contribute in any capacity (including leading) and assume full ownership (imperfections and all) of their work
- Motivated individual with strong problem-solving abilities, willingness to perform a wide variety of related tasks
- Effective communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Top Secret or SCI (Sensitive Compartmented Information) clearances highly desired
- Full Life-Cycle Software Development experience
- Linux System Administration
- Proficiency with software build tools such as Jenkins, Subversion, CMake and Ant
- Experience with any of Distributed Systems, Multi-threaded systems, or Military systems or simulations
- Architecture experience
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top