Principal Software Engineer - Embedded
- Fort Wayne, IN
Multiband Communications and Crypto (MCC) Systems is a provider of secure and reliable voice and data communications. Our software-defined radios employ state-of-the-art electronic counter-countermeasures (ECCM), along with utilizing the latest embedded encryption engine and voice compression techniques. As part of the C4ISR business unit within the Electronics Systems (ES) sector of BAE Systems, MCC expands the modular, open architecture communication systems capabilities of the company. Currently, we are looking for software developers to help with the continued success of our products by engaging in the software development and integration of the next generation waveforms into open system architectures.
As a Principal Software Engineer , typical job functions include:
- Participating on collaborative, cross-discipline integrated product teams to plan, design, develop, test, integrate and provide field support for real-time embedded software products for software-defined communication systems and their associated diagnostic, analysis, and support application software.
- Providing guidance, coaching, and training to junior engineers.
- Applying extensive expertise to develop solutions to complex problems without significant direction.
- Demonstrating full knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Exercising latitude in determining objectives and approaches to assignments.
- Advising management on matters pertaining to policies, plans, and objectives, influencing the future course of the organization.
- Possibly serving in a project leadership role.
- Possibly interacting with customers and suppliers on significant technical matters.
U.S. Citizenship status is required, as this position will require the ability to access US only data systems.
Required Skills and Education
- 6+ years of work related experience spanning software design, implementation, testing, and system integration.
- BS / BA from an ABET accredited university with a major in Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Math, Physics, or related field.
- Software development experience with C, C++, or related languages.
- This position requires candidates to be able to work on-site in closed areas in the Fort Wayne, IN facility.
- This position requires the eligibility to obtain a security clearance. Except in rare circumstances, only U.S. citizens are eligible for a security clearance.
- Knowledgeable in Communication Systems or similar domain.
- Specialized in real-time embedded software development on General Purpose Processors (GPPs), Digital Signal Processors (DSPs), and etc.
- Understanding of peripheral communication busses such as I2C, SPI, CAN, etc.
- Competent in interfacing with FPGAs and other memory-mapped devices.
- Proficient with the use of Real-Time Operating Systems (RTOS) such as VxWorks, INTEGRITY, SYSBIOS, etc.
- Experience with RTOS board-support packages (BSPs), kernels, and drivers.
- Familiarity with Linux kernel development, device trees, and drivers.
- Involvement with open architectures such as the Software Communications Architecture (SCA), Future Airborne Capability Environment (FACE), Vehicle Integration for C4ISR/EW Interoperability (VICTORY), C4ISR/EW Modular Open Suite of Standards (CMOSS) and Sensor Open System Architecture (SOSA).
- Understanding of Agile life-cycle processes including Scrum, Continuous Integration, and Test Driven Development Methodologies.
- Capable of leading projects or processes, including the delegation and review of work.
- Experience with providing guidance, coaching, and training to junior engineers.
- Master of Science degree (M.S.) in Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Math, Physics or related field.
- Current SECRET clearance.
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere - from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact - for our customers and the communities we serve.
Back to top