Principal Software Engineer
We want your Software Engineering talent to support activities for complex avionics electronics systems in our growing avionics business area. Controls and Avionics Solutions (CAS) provides flight and mission-critical products to more than 170 commercial and military customers around the world. CAS products include fly-by-wire flight controls, pilot controls (inceptor systems), full authority digital engine controls (FADEC), power management systems, flight deck systems, cabin management systems, weapon controls, autonomous flight systems, and mission systems for the world’s most prominent commercial and military aircraft manufacturers.
Our growing business is located in the Greater Binghamton area which is home to several sports teams, shopping centers, a growing downtown, the State University of New York at Binghamton, several large healthcare employers and some of New York’s top-ranked school districts. The area enjoys a rich heritage with multiple diverse communities with local cuisine and festival celebrations. From the area to an hour out there is access to hiking, skiing, lakes, waterparks, entertainment, golfing, camping and vineyards. A 9/80 work schedule gives employees a great opportunity to experience all that the region has to offer and provides a balanced work and family lifestyle
Duties and responsibilities involve the following:
Design, code, integrate and verify custom software for embedded systems, which may include:
- Development and allocation of software requirements. Evaluate the impact of requirements changes and interact with customers regarding requirements.
- Participate in developing or tailoring program specific processes and procedures.
- Design software and prepare design documentation.
- Code and Integrate software efficiently which meets identified needs (e.g., reusability, portability).
- Participate in planning verification and validation activities of the integrated product.
- Verify software designs to ensure conformance with functional specifications and customer requirements.
Run tests, evaluate results and/or debug defects.
- Run or participate in work product reviews and inspection
- Leading others in these tasks.
May estimate software level of effort and schedules by reviewing statements of work for new and revised projects. Assist in the preparation of proposals and presentations. Write sections of technical proposals. Perform evaluations/trade studies for complex engineering development tools.
May perform complex engineering development tool design; development; maintenance; testing; piloting; tool customization; integration with other tools; project insertion, and/or on-going support efforts.
Candidates should possess strong communication skills both written and oral. Candidates should also demonstrate sound interpersonal skills involving interfacing, coordinating and negotiating with company personnel, customers and suppliers.
Your experience at BAE Systems will give you the ability to work with industry experts in the fields of Safety, Digital and Analog Circuits, Complex Printed Wiring Boards, Software, Programmable Logic Devices and Qualification to the top Commercial and Military standards.
Minimum Education and Experience Bachelor’s Degree and 8 years work experience or equivalent experience Required Skills and Education Bachelor’s degree in Computer science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent (May substitute equivalent experience, training and/or certifications for the degree)
- 8+ years of experience with embedded software development
- Must be a motivated, team-oriented individual
- Technical writing skills: capable of creating required engineering documentation
Preferred Skills and Education – Experience in full lifecycle development including requirements, design, code, integration and verification
- Experience with digital bus protocols (Ethernet, ARINC 429, RS232, 1394, CAN, ARINC-664, Mil-Std-553)
- Experience with Real Time Operating Systems (VxWorks, Integrity)
- Experience performing Hardware/Software Integration
- Experience performing system level Integration/Verification
- Experience using Matlab/Simulink (autocode)
- Experience developing software on a team of 10 or more
- Project leadership experience
- Familiar with DO-178B or experience with other safety critical applications (medical, nuclear, automotive etc.)
- 10+ years of software development experience
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression EEO Career Site Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities . females . veterans . individuals with disabilities . sexual orientation . gender identity . gender expression
Back to top