Principal Reliability/Maintainability/Safety Engineer
At BAE Systems our motto is "We Protect Those That Protect Us". Enabling this motto are engineering teams developing and producing exciting electronic equipment for the US Military and friendly forces. BAE Systems has a stimulating opportunity for an energetic well-qualified Reliability, Maintainability, and Product Safety (RMS) Engineer to join our team. This engineer will work on teams developing and producing communication, avionics and Electronic Counter Measures for airborne and shipboard platforms. BAE Systems' RMS Engineers are involved with every stage of the equipment lifecycle from concept through development, Integration & Test, production and field support. The selected candidate will have significant interaction across the company including program office, all engineering disciplines and production functions and this will provide for a fast-paced, educational, and fulfilling experience. Your efforts will have a positive impact on front line warfighter's effectiveness and daily quality of life.
The candidate will have opportunities to apply their RMS Engineering skills and their electrical engineering education to analyzing digital and analog electronics, power supplies, and systems of electronic modules, to ensure reliability, maintainability and safety requirements are achieved. Your self-starting enthusiasm for technology, and ability to intuit and solve problems, will propel you to become an integral part of our innovation teams, influence product development, and engage technical leadership opportunities.
Our Principal Reliability, Maintainability & Safety (RMS) Engineer performs the following:
1. Performs on projects as an individual contributor or a point person responsible to the program(s). Mentors and/or direct junior engineers as required. Supports those tracking labor and/or material expenditures for use in program control. The Principal RMS Engineer participates as an individual contributor or acts as cost account manager and/or leads on small scoped efforts as required.
2. Performs reliability and maintainability modeling and analysis and safety assessments requiring the full use and wide application of Engineering principles, theories, concepts and precedents. Conducts research to provide solutions to a wide range of technical problems and proposals. Makes independent technical decisions to further improve the RMS attributes of the equipment.
3. Negotiates, plans and conducts a variety of reliability and maintainability test to ensure meeting reliability/maintainability goals. Present findings and conclusions with recommended corrective actions to both internal management as well as our customers.
4. Performs failure trend analysis, failure investigation and Root Cause analysis. Coordinate failure analysis with vendors or failure analysis labs. Prepares/reviews failure reports for publication. Present findings and conclusions with recommended corrective actions to both internal management as well as our customers.
5. As an individual contributor or team member, actively participates in proposal activities. Prepares proposal inputs using Functional Bid Metrics, including time phased resources, and capture of Risks and Opportunities for management and/or mitigation.
Typical Education & Experience
Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering and 8 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
8 + years of experience within the RMS Engineering disciplines
US Citizenship required
Perform Reliability and Maintainability Analysis including:
• Reliability Predictions and modeling
• Failure Modes, Effects and Criticality Analysis
• Reliability Growth
Perform Reliability Testing
Perform Maintainability Demonstration/Testing
Plan Environmental Stress Screening
Perform presentations to live audiences of either internal management, external customers or both
Perform Product Safety Engineering activities including:
• Hazard Analysis
• Safety Assessment Report
• Hazardous Material Report
Preferred Skills and Education
RMS Analysis and Reliability Growth software tools experience/awareness using Windchill Quality Solutions (RELEX) and ReliaSoft preferred.
Familiarity with Design For Reliability concepts and techniques a plus.
Familiar with System Safety analysis tools, techniques and Fault Tree Analysis.
Strong oral and written communication skills
Strong interpersonal skills and leadership experience preferred.
Cost Account Management/Earned Value tracking
Support production by performing Failure Analysis and Corrective Action activities including:
• Collecting metrics and producing Trend Analysis (Pareto, First Time Yield, etc)
• Failure Analysis
• Root Cause and Corrective Action (9-Step or equivalent)
• Presenting findings to internal management and external customers
• Dispositioning material and equipment
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Vice President, Finance
Chandra helps steer the overall financial direction of BAE Systems’ headquarters. She interacts with many teams to lead mergers and acquisitions, investments, and general maintenance of all the numbers.
Back to top