Principal Reliability/Maintainability/Safety Engineer
This position is responsible for guiding efforts to ensure reliability, maintainability & safety of equipment, processes, and technical data products. The Principal Reliability, Maintainability & Safety Engineer and performs the following:
1. Performs professional technical analysis requiring the full use and wide application of Engineering principles, theories, concepts and precedents in one or more of the Reliability, Maintainability, and Safety (RMS) disciplines, plus a working knowledge of other related disciplines such as Logistics and Testability. Conducts research to provide solutions to a wide range of technical problems and proposals.
Makes independent technical decisions in areas of subject matter experience.
2. Performs on projects as an individual contributor or a point person responsible to the program(s). Mentors and/or direct junior engineers as required. Supports those tracking labor and/or material expenditures for use in program control. The Principal Reliability Engineer participates as an individual contributor or acts as cost account manager and/or leads on small scoped efforts as required.
3. Provides reliability engineering guidance to programs as required during life cycle phases. Plans and directs test activities; oversees trend analysis and problem identification, and Root Cause analysis. Prepares/reviews failure reports for publication. Ensures that test failure/defect information, as required, is captured with company standard tools and processes for failure data management & reporting. Responsible for "lessons learned" abstraction and capture.
4. As an individual contributor or team member, actively participates in proposal activities as required. Prepares proposal inputs in accordance with company practices, using Functional Bid Metrics or other approved data sources, including time phased resources, and capture of Risks and Opportunities for management and/or mitigation. Works with Systems Engineering to ensure full comprehension and inclusion of RMS requirements contributing to higher level performance measures.
5. Develops and conducts technical reliability studies and evaluations of engineering design concepts and design of experiments (DOE) constructs. Recommends design or test methods and statistical process control procedures for achieving required levels of product reliability. Completes risk analysis studies of new design and processes. Compiles and analyzes performance reports and process control statistics, investigates and analyzes relevant variables potentially affecting product and processes. Develops engineering solutions to repetitive failures impacting product throughput, safety and reliability issues.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 6 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
6+ years of experience within the RMS Engineering disciplines.
BS in Engineering or Scientific Field
US Citizenship required
Preferred Skills and Education
Electronic Warfare Systems background preferred, but not required.
RMS Analysis and Reliability Growth software tools experience/awareness using Windchill Quality Solutions (RELEX) and ReliaSoft preferred.
Integrated Logistics analysis, techniques and software tools experience preferred.
Proven Failure Reporting, Analysis & Corrective Action System (FRACAS) and Root Cause Failure Analysis experience desired.
Proven Reliability Modeling and Failure Modes, Effects & Criticality Analysis (FMECA) experience desired.
Familiarity with the business standard Reliability Growth planning and tracking tools
Familiarity with Design For Reliability concepts and techniques a plus.
Familiarity with Reliability Maturation Test (RMT) experience a plus.
Familiarity with supporting Reliability and Maintainability testing activities to include maintainability demonstrations, Highly Accelerated Life Testing (HALT), Accelerated Life/Stress Test, Reliability Growth Testing (RGT), and Environmental Stress Screening (ESS)
Familiar with System Safety analysis tools, techniques and Fault Tree Analysis.
Strong oral and written communication skills
Strong interpersonal skills and leadership experience preferred.
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top