Principal Reliability Engineer
At BAE Systems our motto is "We Protect Those That Protect Us". Enabling this motto are engineering teams developing and producing exciting electronic equipment for the US Military and friendly forces. BAE Systems has a stimulating opportunity for an energetic well-qualified Reliability, Maintainability, and Product Safety (RMS) Engineer to join our team. This engineer will work on teams developing and producing electro-optical, communication, avionics and Electronic Counter Measures for ground, airborne and shipboard platforms. BAE Systems' RMS Engineers are involved with every stage of the equipment lifecycle from concept through development, Integration & Test, production and field support. The selected candidate will have significant interaction across the company including program office, all engineering disciplines and production functions and this will provide for a fast-paced, educational, and fulfilling experience. Your efforts will have a positive impact on front line warfighter's effectiveness and daily quality of life.
The candidate will have opportunities to apply their RMS Engineering skills and their electrical engineering education to analyzing digital and analog electronics, power supplies, and systems of electronic modules, to ensure reliability, maintainability and safety requirements are achieved. Your self-starting enthusiasm for technology, and ability to intuit and solve problems, will propel you to become an integral part of our innovation teams, influence product development, and engage technical leadership opportunities.
Our Principal Reliability, Maintainability & Safety (RMS) Engineer performs the following:
1. Performs on projects as an individual contributor or a point person responsible to the program(s). Mentors and/or direct junior engineers as required. Supports those tracking labor and/or material expenditures for use in program control. The Principal RMS Engineer participates as an individual contributor or acts as cost account manager and/or leads on small scoped efforts as required.
2. Performs reliability and maintainability modeling, design failure modes effects analysis and safety assessments requiring the full use and wide application of Engineering principles, theories, concepts and precedents. Conducts research to provide solutions to a wide range of technical problems and proposals. Makes independent technical decisions that further improve the RMS attributes of the equipment.
3. Negotiates, plans and conducts a variety of reliability and maintainability test to ensure meeting reliability/maintainability goals. Present findings and conclusions with recommended corrective actions to both internal management as well as our customers.
4. Performs failure trend analysis, failure investigation and Root Cause analysis. Coordinate failure analysis with vendors or failure analysis labs. Prepares/reviews failure reports for publication. Present findings and conclusions with recommended corrective actions to both internal management as well as our customers.
5. As an individual contributor or team member, actively participates in proposal activities. Prepares proposal inputs using Functional Bid Metrics, including time phased resources, and capture of Risks and Opportunities for management and/or mitigation.
Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship status
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 6 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
6 + years of experience within the RMS Engineering disciplines
BS in Engineering or Scientific Field
US Citizenship required
Support production by performing Failure Analysis and Corrective Action activities including:
• Collecting metrics and producing Trend Analysis (Pareto, First Time Yield, etc)
• Failure Analysis
• Root Cause and Corrective Action (9-Step or equivalent)
• Presenting findings to internal management and external customers
• Dispositioning material and equipment
Perform Reliability and Maintainability Analysis including:
• Reliability Predictions and modeling
• Failure Modes, Effects and Criticality Analysis
• Reliability Growth
Perform Reliability Testing
Plan Environmental Stress Screening
Perform presentations to live audiences of either internal management, external customers or both
Preferred Skills and Education
Design Failure Modes Effects Analysis experience
Electronic Warfare Systems background preferred, but not required.
RMS Analysis and Reliability Growth software tools experience/awareness using Windchill Quality Solutions (RELEX) and ReliaSoft preferred.
Proven Failure Reporting, Analysis & Corrective Action System (FRACAS) and Root Cause Failure Analysis experience desired.
Proven Reliability Modeling and Failure Modes, Effects & Criticality Analysis (FMECA) experience desired.
Familiarity with the business standard Reliability Growth planning and tracking tools
Familiarity with Design For Reliability concepts and techniques a plus.
Familiarity with Reliability Maturation Test (RMT) experience a plus.
Familiarity with supporting Reliability and Maintainability testing activities to include maintainability demonstrations, Highly Accelerated Life Testing (HALT), Accelerated Life/Stress Test, Reliability Growth Testing (RGT), and Environmental Stress Screening (ESS)
Proven experience with Planning ESS planning.
Proven experience with Reliability Growth testing
Familiar with System Safety analysis tools, techniques and Fault Tree Analysis.
Strong oral and written communication skills
Strong interpersonal skills and leadership experience preferred.
Integrated Logistics analysis, techniques and software tools experience preferred
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere - from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact - for our customers and the communities we serve.
Back to top