Principal Process Safety Engineer
Due to continued growth BAE Systems, one of the world's leading defense contractors and a stable Fortune 500 Company, is hiring a Principal Process / Design Safety Engineer to support modernization projects (new construction and retrofit) at both the Radford Army Ammunition Plant (RFAAP) in Radford, VA and Holston Army Ammunition Plant (HSAAP) Kingsport, TN. This position will also provide Engineering Safety support to manufacturing departments when required. BAE Systems manufactures chemicals, propellants, and other energetic materials including explosives at these two sites.
The Principal Process / Safety Engineer will be responsible for providing process and design safety support to assigned projects for renovation and construction of new modernized chemical and energetic production/support facilities at RFAAP and HSAAP. The Safety Engineer will also provide safety support to legacy manufacturing operations and safety committees as needed.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Support project teams throughout the entire design, build, and commissioning activities by providing Design and Process Safety input and analysis to ensure a safe and compliant process.
• Ensure process design is compliant with applicable Federal, State, and Department of Defense regulations and requirements.
• Ensure process design eliminates or minimizes safety risk to an acceptable level.
• Participate in internal design reviews and Process Hazard Analysis meetings.
• Work closely with project teams to ensure completion of PHA generated follow up actions.
• Perform safety investigations as required.
• Develop a working knowledge of the common hazards related to processing energetic materials and how to prevent and/or mitigate those hazards.
• Provide technical safety support to manufacturing areas and management teams when required.
• Develop and maintain safety policies/standards related to process design.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 6 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Required education: Bachelor Degree in Engineering or Safety related.
- Experience in required practices for safe operations involving hazardous chemicals such as flammable liquids and gases, reactive solids and liquids, toxic materials, corrosive materials, poisonous materials, explosives and other shock/friction sensitive materials, etc.
- Experience in design and/or evaluation of required practices for safely operating hazardous chemical processes including the application of inherently safer technologies.
- Experience in reading, interpreting, evaluating, and specifying compliance with a wide range of regulations and codes including, but not limited to OSHA, NFPA, and IBC.
- Experience in hazard identification and mitigation through leading, conducting, and/or participating in Process Hazard Analysis studies.
- Experience in hazard identification and mitigation through leading, conducting, and/or participating in various technical safety analyses such as layers of protection analysis, root cause failure analysis, qualitative and quantitative risk analysis, and Job Hazard Analysis.
- Experience with providing process and industrial safety support in a chemical manufacturing environment.
- Experience in reading, interpreting, evaluating, and specifying compliance with regulations and codes including, but not limited to OSHA, NFPA, and IBC.
- Good communication and reasoning skills.
- Attention to detail.
- 10+ years relevant experience.
- Experience in safe design of facilities handling propellants and explosives.
- Experience in performing qualitative and quantitative hazard analysis of impact, friction, static electricity, and shock hazards of propellants and explosives.
- Experience in supporting compliance with Process Safety Management and Risk Management standards.
- Experience using PHA-PRO or similar Process Hazard Analysis software.
- CSP - Certified Safety Professional.
- Experience in performance of incident investigation utilizing root cause analysis techniques.
- Experience with construction safety requirements.
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. Platforms & Services designs, develops, produces, supports, maintains, modernizes and upgrades armored combat vehicles, wheeled vehicles, naval guns, surface ship combatants, commercial vessels, missile launchers, artillery systems, military ordnance, and protective wear and armor. Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top