Principal Process / Explosive Safety Engineer
- Roanoke, VA
The Principal Process / Explosives Safety Engineer will be responsible for providing process and design safety support to assigned projects for renovation and construction of new modernized chemical and energetic production/support facilities at Radford Army Ammunition Plant (RFAAP) in Radford, VA and Holston Army Ammunition Plant (HSAAP) in Kingsport, TN. The Safety Engineer will also provide technical safety support to legacy manufacturing operations and safety committees as needed.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Support project teams throughout the entire design, build, and commissioning activities by providing Design and Process Safety input and analysis to ensure a safe and compliant process.
• Ensure process design is compliant with applicable Federal, State, and Department of Defense regulations and requirements.
• Ensure process design eliminates or minimizes safety risk to an acceptable level.
• Participate in internal design reviews and Process Hazard Analysis meetings.
• Work closely with project teams to ensure completion of PHA generated follow up actions.
• Perform safety investigations as required.
• Develop a working knowledge of the common hazards related to processing energetic materials and how to prevent and/or mitigate those hazards.
• Provide technical safety support to manufacturing areas and management teams when required.
• Develop and maintain safety policies/standards related to process design.
• Analyze, research, and assess risks for assigned projects, process changes, etc.
Required Skills and Education
- Bachelor Degree in Engineering or equivalent years experience in the safety field.
- Experience in required practices for safe operations involving hazardous chemicals such as flammable liquids and gases, reactive solids and liquids, toxic materials, corrosive materials, poisonous materials, explosives and other shock/friction sensitive materials, etc.
- Experience in design and/or evaluation of required practices for safely operating hazardous chemical processes including the application of inherently safer technologies.
- Experience in reading, interpreting, evaluating, and specifying compliance with a wide range of regulations and codes including, but not limited to OSHA, NFPA, Military and DOD standards, and IBC.
- Experience in hazard identification and mitigation through leading, conducting, and/or participating in Process Hazard Analysis studies.
- Experience in hazard identification and mitigation through leading, conducting, and/or participating in various technical safety analyses such as layers of protection analysis, root cause failure analysis, qualitative and quantitative risk analysis, and Job Hazard Analysis.
- Experience with providing process and industrial safety support in a chemical manufacturing environment.
- Experience in reading, interpreting, evaluating, and specifying compliance with regulations and codes including, but not limited to OSHA, NFPA, and IBC.
- Good communication and reasoning skills.
- Attention to detail.
- 10+ years relevant experience.
- Experience in safe design of facilities handling propellants and explosives.
- Experience in performing qualitative and quantitative hazard analysis of impact, friction, static electricity, and shock hazards of propellants and explosives.
- Experience in United Nations test methods for explosive materials.
- Experience in supporting compliance with Process Safety Management and Risk Management standards.
- Experience using PHA-PRO or similar Process Hazard Analysis software.
- CSP - Certified Safety Professional.
- Experience in performance of incident investigation utilizing root cause analysis techniques.
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair...just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Back to top