Principal Maintainability Engineer
The BAE Systems site in York, Pennsylvania supporting Combat Vehicles is seeking a Principal Maintainability Engineer . In this role, the Engineer's prime focus includes:
- Developing plans for managing projects which will define the maintainability engineering products and analyses needed for successful project or program completion.
- Managing a small team (2-4) of Maintainability Engineers per the developed plan to ensure activities meet cost, quality, schedule and performance requirements.
- Planning, scheduling, conducting and/or coordinating engineering work for a medium-sized design/development project.
- Acting as the project technical expert to mentor and train less senior technical personnel in all aspects of Maintainability Engineering.
- Understanding all aspects of Maintainability Engineering activities in order to drive efficiencies into the repairability of the system to reduce the downtime.
- Identifying and defining Line Replaceable Units/Modules or Shop Replaceable Units for which analysis needs to be performed.
- Calculating Maintenance Ratio, Mean Time To Repair and Max Time To Repair.
- Performing Level of Repair Analysis as required to determine the most cost effective alternatives for performing maintenance tasks over the life of the end item or equipment.
- Performing maintenance task analysis, defining maintenance task steps, equipment, tools, times and personnel requirements.
- Recommending changes to designs based on analysis performed to improve the supportability and life cycle cost of the system.
- Performing technical analysis, calculations and evaluation of results to solve complex engineering problems by creating or using computer programs, models or simulations.
- Preparing and presenting project technical results, recommendations and solutions to internal and external customers.
- Developing and writing technical documentation, makes revisions to existing documentation and provides input to technical papers or presentations.
- Championing for rigorous adherence, enforcement, and responsible tailoring of applicable processes and work flow context.
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 6 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Bachelors degree in a relevant technical discipline with six (6) years of relevant experience, OR a Masters in a relevant technical discipline with four (4) years relevant experience, OR or a Ph.D. in a relevant technical discipline with two (2) years relevant experience.
- Ability to lead and mentor less senior Maintainability Engineers and provide advice and directions during project execution.
- Skilled in reading and comprehending engineering drawings.
- Ability to perform standard Maintainability Engineering tasks such as Maintainability Assessment, Design Influence, Level of Repair Analysis, Spare Parts analysis and the identification of Line Replaceable Units.
- Have an understanding of how to perform system and subsystem calculations for Maintenance Ratio, Mean Time To Repair, and Max Time To Repair.
- Working knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures in the field of Maintainability Engineering.
- Computer literacy in current computer applications with proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with customers to solve complex technical problems.
- Highly effective communication skills, verbal and written, to successfully share technical results with customers.
- Proficiency with EDCAS, SLICwave or Microsoft Access highly beneficial;
- Specialized technical knowledge of relevant military standards a plus.
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. Platforms & Services designs, develops, produces, supports, maintains, modernizes and upgrades armored combat vehicles, wheeled vehicles, naval guns, surface ship combatants, commercial vessels, missile launchers, artillery systems, military ordnance, and protective wear and armor. Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top