Pipefitter 2nd Class Mechanic (Pipe Shop)
The Pipe Shop Second Class Mechanic performs a variety of skilled mechanical duties involving general fitting piping systems on vessels, burning/brazing, testing and sketching piping systems. The Second Class Mechanic operates equipment for assembly and installation; performs preventative and predictive maintenance on facility machinery; records work performed and follows specified safety policies and procedures.
Key Responsibilities & Functional Knowledge:
This list is representative of the key areas of responsibility and functional knowledge required of a second class pipefitter in the Pipe shop. A second class mechanic must demonstrate an intermediate knowledge of the skills, functional knowledge and abilities required to perform tasks in these and related areas of responsibility.
Intermediate knowledge means that the mechanic understands how to perform tasks in these categories (including, but not limited to, the specific tasks identified below) and is able to complete them independently, with minimal assistance. This also means that the mechanic has the necessary level of knowledge of the equipment, protective gear, and machinery required to complete these tasks.
- General Pipefitting
- Complete a sketch sheet (P-1, P-2, P-3, P-13, P-14, P-15, P-16, P-17, P-68, P-69, P-71, P-72, p-3B and tolerances)
- Read and interpret advanced blue prints
- Know the basic tools required and their uses
- Identification of piping by class, schedule, size and the systems in which they are used.
- Identification of various gaskets and fasteners and the systems they are used on
- Be familiar with types of bevels, types of backing rings, consumable inserts (E/B ring), open roots, saddles, miters, tolerances
- Remove and install docking plug
- Gas freeing- Preserval of internal structures
- Chlorinate CHT and Potable Water Systems
- Conduct hydrostatic testing
- Standard Operating Procedure for shop Hydrostatic Test Stand
- Hydraulic Benders : Greenlee Bender
- Operate, set up and provide maintenance on the benders
- Know the tools to use to properly assemble the bender
- Demonstrate ability to lay out a bend and figure angles
- Pre-Op Log/Test to ensure that the Hydraulic Bender units are set up safely
- Bench/Pedestal Grinders
- Operate the grinder
- Put bevels on pipes and grind pipes with the grinder machine
- Pre-Op Log/Test to ensure that the bench/pedestal unit is set up safely
- Standing Drill Press
- Operate drill press
- Maintain the drill press
- Target work/Tack Welding
- Perform target work for piping systems by taking an existing sample of an old piping system to make a new piping system
- Know which standard pipefitting tools are required
- Burn pipe using the cutting torch
- Braze and cut pipe using the Grade 3 3 brazing qualification.
- Know the oxy acetylene process
- Perform a fuel set up
- Know operations of gas welding
- Secure the rig/gas hoses
- Know the various types of materials brazed
- Complete a brazing qualification in house exam administered by Pipe Shop by inspected by QA dept.
- Material Identification -
- Must be able to identify and procure needed materials
Minimum education: High school diploma/GED
Minimum relevant experience: 3 to 5 yrs.
Practical Theory Requirements:
A second class mechanic must be trained on the NAVSEA Standard Items that are applicable to the pipefitter trade and demonstrate an intermediate understanding of bevels, types of backing rings, consumable inserts (E/B ring), open roots, saddles, miters and tolerances.
A written test by the manufacturer and the government must be taken and passed in order to be fully trained on Lokring.
- Must be able to read, write and comprehend simple instructions
- Must be able to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions in written, oral or diagram form
- Must be able to calculate and understand units of measure, including fractions and decimals
- Must know how to measure using a scale and tape measureMust be able to wear applicable PPE (Hard hat, safety goggles, gloves, steel toes shoes, ear protection)
This job description does not include all activities, duties or responsibilities required for this position. The key duties, responsibilities and requirements identified in this description are subject to modification by the Company (in consultation with the Union, as appropriate) at any time.
Preferred Skills and Education
Preferred but not required (based on business need)
- Swedge Lock - Mech. Fittings
- Tube Fittings
- Connect tubing
- Know different tubing sizes and the connection to different tubes
- Use the correct swedge lock based on the material (steel, copper, copper nickel, stainless steel, etc.)
- Ensure that lokrings are performed in accordance with the standard NAVSEA procedure
- A written test by the manufacturer and the government must be taken and passed in order to be fully trained
- Band saw
- Operate and maintain band saw
- Know which speeds to use based on the material used
- Set up and operate the plasma machine
- Tie Knots
- Flex Hose
- Know flex hose basics
- Assist with manufacturing hoses with flex hose equipment, when trained and certified
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. Platforms & Services designs, develops, produces, supports, maintains, modernizes and upgrades armored combat vehicles, wheeled vehicles, naval guns, surface ship combatants, commercial vessels, missile launchers, artillery systems, military ordnance, and protective wear and armor. Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Vice President, Finance
Chandra helps steer the overall financial direction of BAE Systems’ headquarters. She interacts with many teams to lead mergers and acquisitions, investments, and general maintenance of all the numbers.
Back to top