Pilot LIne Process Engineer I
The Pilot Line Process Engineer I will support senior engineers in the maturation and development of new processes and tooling for new projects entering the factory through hands-on problem solving, data analyses, and application of engineering, Six Sigma and lean manufacturing principles. This position is to support first shift factory operations.
The New Product Introduction (NPI) Pilot Line product stream is responsible for the first unit build of new hardware designs and transition to production. This includes the development and maturation of the associated build processes and tooling in preparation for rate production. Working closely with Program Engineering and being able to adapt to a rapidly changing environment makes the NPI Pilot Line a unique and exciting opportunity to influence the future success of production runs, and to have a positive impact by influencing the program and product before entering low-rate production.
Responsibilities may include:
- Develops new processes and identifies and implements changes in product flow to support the production ramp-up of products through application of lean manufacturing principles.
- Provides technical support in the transitioning of designs to the manufacturing phase and monitors designs for compliance to design rules, standards and procedures in order to provide consistency in designs and manufacturing processes.
- Provide process engineering support for production products in the factory. Work with operators and methods specialists to create and clarify work instructions. Work with tooling engineering and operators to implement tools to poke yoke production processes.
- Analyze defect data to identify areas to improve yield. Works with other process and product engineers from the EW IMC factory, in addition to feeder factories, to implement process improvements.
- Trend defects and work with senior engineers to identify root causes and implement corrective and preventative actions.
- Participate in and document corrective action requests using 9 Step problem solving methodology.
- Lead process improvement teams. Applies Six Sigma tools to solve production problems and to improve existing processes. Uses poke yoke principles to prevent production problems.
- Perform AS9100D audits.
- Work with senior engineers to identify key process parameters and implement SPC.
Typically a Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Exhibit sound interpersonal skills interfacing with company personnel at all levels, customers and suppliers.
- Ability to work independently and be effective in a fast paced environment
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Experience and proficiency in Solumina
- Green Belt and Lean manufacturing training and demonstrated ability to apply these principles
- IPC-A-610 certification
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top