Outside Machinist Improver
- San Diego, CA
Outside Machinist Improvers will support Journeypersons, Leadpersons and Forepersons in hands-on responsibilities for the removal, installation and testing of main and auxiliary shipboard equipment including but not limited to: MRGs, pumps, hydraulics, steam equipment, valves, propellers, bearings, etc. Machinists may work in dry dock, shop or shipboard environments. Work occurs in various stages of repair and modernization of Naval Ships. Outside Machinists operate a wide variety of tools and machinery. Performs additional related tasks as assigned, some of which may become essential to the position. Machinist Improvers will support ; Machinists may work in dry dock, shop or shipboard environments. Work occurs in various stages of repair and modernization of Naval Ships.
Required Skills and Education
- Minimum 2+ years shipboard machinist experience
- General knowledge of ship layout
- Ability to read technical manuals and naval work specifications
- Must be able to read precision tools (i.e.: micrometers and verniers)
- Mechanical background required (i.e.: diesel, testing, steam plant, shafting boring, etc.)
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Rapid Gate pass.
- Must be able to use hand tools and power tools safely and efficiently
- Must have own tools
- Ability to drill, tap and die nut fasteners and threaded holes
- Strong knowledge of fasteners, torqueing requirements and lock wiring
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair...just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Back to top