Optomechanical Hardware Design Engineer
BAE Systems is seeking a proactive Sr. Principal Mechanical Engineer to work in our Merrimack, NH location.
The role will be require diverse analytical capabilities and demonstrated technical expertise. This individual will provide leadership and support to the design, development, integration/test, and production of dynamic optomechanical military systems. The engineer will work closely with hardware integrated into a variety of complex IR technology products including lasers, receivers, sensors, and multi-axis beam directors/gimbals. The individual must be a self-starter and is desired to have development experience working with integrated military electronic hardware and related test equipment.
The selected candidate will be expected to execute both individually and in small to large, yet diverse, team environments through all phases of the product life cycle. This includes concept development, detail design, qualification, manufacturing transition, and production support. The engineer will be responsible for developing innovative and robust hardware solutions to meet demanding customer requirements, and will leverage their mechanical engineering expertise to perform detailed design and analyses. Day to day, activities may include working with 3D solid models, drawings, and documentation utilizing GD&T principles; performing analyses to assure fit & function; performing thermal, structural/stress, and vibration analyses; assessing designs against environmental requirements; as well as conducting test and verification efforts.
With a product focus, the individual will actively partner with other engineering disciplines and operations personnel to develop solutions that adhere to UPC, DFT, and DFM requirements. Additionally, the engineer will support resolution of technical issues that are discovered during manufacture and test of deliverable hardware. This may include evaluating and troubleshooting mechanical faults and issues, assessing test failures for root cause, identifying disposition/corrective actions, as well as designing test equipment to ensure the performance and integrity of manufactured products.
The successful mechanical engineering candidate will have applicable experience in the following areas:
- Design and development of IR technology hardware and systems
- Optomechanical design & analysis
- Design and development of motion systems including motors, encoders, bearings, seals
- Product/Factory Support of DoD military electronics/avionics equipment
- State-of-the-art mechanical engineering design and development tools
- Design and analysis of multilayer CCAs
- Prototype & test
- Strong "hands-on" laboratory experience with instrumentation, equipment, and processes
- MIL specs & standards, industry standards including ASTM, SAE, DO
- Engineering documentation and presentations
- The ideal candidate will thrive in a learning environment that encourages leadership and technical growth.
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 6 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Required Education: Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering with 10+ years of experience OR a Master's Degree and 8+ years of experience
- Working experience with laser, IR, and other detection and imaging technologies
- Established mechanical hardware architect for complex military/avionic optomechanical equipment
- Demonstrated experience in product development and support of DoD military electronics/avionics equipment
- Solid fundamentals of mechanical design, analysis, and documentation principles
- Understanding of complex optomechanical manufacturing and test methodologies
- Experience with state-of-the-art mechanical engineering development tools
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities in team environment with strong written and verbal communication skills
- Motivated self-starter and problem solver with proven experience in leading and supporting diverse multi-disciplinary teams
- Knowledge of engineering development processes
- Eligible to obtain a DOD Security Clearance
- Experience in the design/development of active motion controlled hardware
- Experience in the design and manufacture of electronic circuit card assemblies
- ANSYS Workbench/Mechanical, PTC Creo, MATLAB/Simulink, Siemens NX, ANSYS Icepak
- Knowledge of design for manufacturing (DFM) principles
- Life cycle engineering support related to diminishing manufacturing sources and material shortages (DMSMS)
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top