You don't see it, but it's there. Our employees work on the world's most advanced electronics - from saving emissions in the City of Lights to powering the Mars Rover to protecting the F-35 fighter jet. At Electronic Systems, you'll be among the brightest minds, working on the aerospace and defense industry's most difficult problems. Drawing strength from our differences, we're innovating for the future. And you can, too.
Our flexible work environment provides you a chance to change the world without giving up your personal life. We put our customers first - exemplified by our missions: "We Protect Those Who Protect Us®" and "We Innovate For Those Who Move The World TM ." Sound like a team you want to be a part of? Come build your career with us .
In Command, Control, Communications, Computers, Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (C4ISR) solutions, you'll help develop systems that sense, control, exploit and disseminate actionable information to warfighters supporting a variety of missions.
BAE Systems is seeking an Entry Level Opto-mechanical Engineer to work in our Greenlawn, NY location.
At BAE Systems, we deliver a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. If you are an individual that enjoys a cohesive team environment and is interested in a variety of challenges across a variety of products, then we are interested in hearing from you!
The role requires a fundamental understanding of both optical and mechanical principles. This individual will provide support to the design, development, integration/test, and production of dynamic opto -mechanical military systems at the entry level. The engineer will work closely with hardware integrated into a variety of complex EO-IR technology products including imaging systems, lasers, receivers, sensors, and mechanisms. The individual must be a self-starter and is desired to have some hands experience working with optical and mechanical hardware and/or test equipment.
The selected candidate will be expected to execute in small to large, yet diverse, team environments through all phases of the product life cycle. This includes concept development, detail design, qualification, manufacturing transition, and production support. The engineer will be responsible for supporting the development of innovative and robust hardware solutions to meet demanding customer requirements, and will leverage their mechanical engineering expertise to perform detailed design and analyses. Day to day, activities may include working with 3D solid models, drawings, and documentation utilizing GD&T principles; performing analyses to assure fit & function; performing basic thermal, structural/stress, and vibration analyses; assessing designs against environmental requirements; as well as conducting test and verification efforts.
The preferred opto -mechanical engineering candidate will have a desire to learn about and contribute in the following areas:
• Design and development of EO- IRtechnology hardware and systems
• Optomechanical design & analysis
• Design and development of mechanisms
• Product/Factory Support of DoD military electronics/avionics equipment
• State-of-the-art mechanical engineering design and development tools
• Prototype & test
• Application of MIL specs & standards, industry standards including ASTM, SAE, DO
• Engineering documentation and presentations
• The ideal candidate will thrive in a learning environment that encourages leadership and technical growth.
• BAE Systems offers competitive pay, benefits, and important work-life balance initiatives including every other Friday Off, Flextime, and Telecommuting. BAE also believes in a culture of recognition for the extraordinary contributions of our skilled employees.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
• Required Education: Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering OR Optical Engineering or equivalent degree.
• Awareness of laser, IR, and other detection and imaging technologies
• Familiarity with fundamentals of mechanical design, analysis, and documentation principles
• Familiarity with fundamentals of optical design, analysis, and documentation principles
• Awareness of opto -mechanical manufacturing and test methodologies
• Basic familiarity with state-of-the-art mechanical engineering development tools
• Experience working in a team environment with strong written and verbal communication skills
• Motivated self-starter and problem solver with ability and desire to work in diverse multi-disciplinary teams
• Awareness of engineering development processes
• Eligible to obtain a DOD Security Clearance
Preferred Skills and Education
• Experience in the design/development of basic opto -mechanical hardware
• Working knowledge of PTC Creo
• Knowledge of Design for Manufacturing (DFM) principles
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere - from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact - for our customers and the communities we serve.
Back to top