Optical engineering team member on a multi-disciplinary design team with focus in optics for multi-million dollar imaging and laser applications programs. Work includes developing concepts and solutions for optical systems that meet Department of Defense customer requirements. Primary product applications include airborne electro-optic imaging and laser based systems. This is an opportunity to contribute in developing cutting edge technology. Minimum Education and Experience Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience Required Skills and Education 1. Ability to apply optical engineering principles to support formulation of new concepts and solutions for laser and imaging applications for use in harsh environmental conditions.
2. Basic knowledge of geometrical optics and physical optics. Familiar with interferometry, optical testing, and optical alignment techniques.
3. Ability to support modeling optical systems, performing system optimization, tolerance and performance analysis.
4. Ability to support ray traces, tolerance analysis, optical system performance optimization, performing optical assembly, alignment, and characterization tasks for manufacturing methods and error budget allocation.
5. Proficiency with Zemax or CodeV optical design tools desirable.
6. Engineering support for assigned projects in a team environment for precision optical design, analysis, and simulation.
7. Familiarity with optical materials and detectors used in the infrared and visible spectral ranges desirable.
8. Ability to support the analysis and evaluation of a design concept to produce realistic assessment of risks and to develop strategies for mitigating major risks to the projects.
9. Willingness to perform “hands-on” technical work in laboratory and field environments involving electro-optical metrology, optical alignment, system testing, data collection and analysis.
10. Willingness to form partnerships with teams and industry peers in optical engineering.
11. Demonstrated leadership roles in project engineering or technical and collaborative team environment desirable.
12.Strong skills in oral and written communication and the ability to present technical subjects clearly in team meetings and project reviews.
13. Willingness to learn key system concepts and testing protocols from other engineers and technicians with optical, mechanical, and electronics experience.
14. Ability and willingness to work well with other engineers in a collaborative team environment. Preferred Skills and Education B.S. in Optical Engineering, Physics, or equivalent.
Experience with Matlab for numerical simulations and data/image processing and analysis is highly desired.
Experience with laser systems is desired. About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression EEO Career Site Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities . females . veterans . individuals with disabilities . sexual orientation . gender identity . gender expression
Back to top