Operations Manager 1st shift
The Manager of Operations is responsible for planning, organizing, coordinating, managing, and evaluating the activities of a manufacturing group to achieve performance objectives for safety, quality, efficiency, utilization, schedule attainment, productivity, housekeeping, employee relations, and total cost/budget responsibilities as measured by pre-determined key performance indicators (KPI).
- Plans, organizes, staffs, controls, and directs medium-sized, complex manufacturing activities (i.e. fabrications, machining, welding, assembly, paint or test) including production, maintenance, inventory control, quality, and process engineering.
- Assesses and applies measures, methods, and techniques designed to improve safety, product, and process quality, efficiency, productivity, and equipment and process performance; recommends changes in working conditions and modification in machine tools and plant facilities.
- Coordinates with appropriate personnel regarding safety, quality assurance, master scheduling, facilities engineering, environmental management, labor/material/overhead/G&A costs, to optimize return on assets.
- Selects, directs, trains, develops and reviews subordinates; determines staffing levels. Manages hiring, training, promotion, transfer, compensation action, and termination, as required, consistent with LOB policy.
- Develops and implements staffing plans for direct and indirect labor, and administrative personnel, maximizing personnel safety, quality, efficiency, utilization, and productivity.
- Manages work-in-process inventory ensuring availability to meet production commitments at maximum cost containment; develops and implements procedures to optimize work-in-process-inventory.
- Provides management, government, and appropriate customer personnel with complete, current, and accurate date on department activity, together with recommendations from management action/decision.
- Maintains a safe work environment and ensures compliance with safety objectives and policies. Ensure compliance with OSHA regulations.
- Provides leadership for shared responsibility of employee development. Shares responsibility od self-development with immediate supervisor.
- The position requires administration of a collective bargaining contract. The position is 80% factory environment interfacing with direct labor personnel and 20% office environment performing administrative duties
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 6 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
Must have knowledge of general manufacturing processes such as machining, welding, fabrications, assembly and finishing.
- Has a general understanding of SPC and MRP.
- Knowledgeable in blueprint reading and interpretation, safety management techniques, routings, process sheets, work instructions, labor reports, quality statistics, inventory monitoring, standards interpretation, quality management metrics/tools, capacity requirements planning (CRP), and key performance indicators; ability to utilize computer systems for inquiry and data manipulation required.
- Ability to identify, define, interpret, and develop new and creative solutions to solve complex problems as solutions are often innovative.
- Must be able to coordinate and lead others in accomplishing work activities.
- Experience establishing performance standards for employees and contract personnel.
- Ability to determine appropriate method and procedures.
- Have good planning, time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize work and multitask.
- Communication skills to explain relevant concepts to personnel unacquainted with processes and requirements
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. Platforms & Services designs, develops, produces, supports, maintains, modernizes and upgrades armored combat vehicles, wheeled vehicles, naval guns, surface ship combatants, commercial vessels, missile launchers, artillery systems, military ordnance, and protective wear and armor. Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top