Occup Safety Nurse Sr
Job Detail: BAE Systems Inc., one of the world's largest defense contractors and a stable Fortune 500 Company, is hiring a Registered Nurse to provide Occupational Health services for the Radford Army Ammunition Plant in Radford, VA.
Shift: Primarily Monday – Friday day shift.
Job Summary: The Registered Nurse functions as a member of the occupational medical clinic under the direction of the medical director and on-site provider within the Occupational Medicine Department. The scope of Occupational Health Department includes, but is not limited to, working with the site's Industrial Hygienist and overseeing the Occupational Medical Surveillance Program, treatment and rehabilitation of work-related injuries, return-to-work programs, compliance with government and regulatory needs including OSHA, FMLA, ADA, DOD as well as implementation of onsite training and educational programs, among the many and varied other services offered for BAE Systems employees.
Clinical Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provide treatment for job related injuries and illnesses.
- Conduct both new hire and on-going medical surveillance health screenings and immunization clinics.
- Ensure compliance with applicable workplace safety laws and regulations. May also conduct safety training programs.
- Provide employee counseling and referrals for occupational injuries and illnesses as well as other health-related matters.
- Conduct initial needs assessment intake and scope of services evaluation for all new employer groups; summarizes findings and provides feedback on services to offer.
- Follow up on all worker compensation medical claims, incorporating light duty options as appropriate, coordinating and tracking follow up care and appointments to expedite employee return to work.
- Assist employer group employees with the coordination of health maintenance follow up to ensure follow up appointments are made and met (i.e., physician follow up visits, lab work, immunizations, health promotion activities, etc.) based on evidence-based medicine.
- Collaborate regularly with patient care team for input and guidance to assure continuity of care by using analytics and reports to share information.
- Proactively educates employer group employee's self-management tasks they can undertake to gain greater control of their health status and develops programs to involve the patients in activities to improve their health.
- Experience in case management, Workers' Compensation, and government regulations preferred.
- Prepare and process all necessary internal forms and logs.
- Assist with development and placement of employees in modified duty positions
- Maintain separate employee medical records, workers compensation files, and medical surveillance records
- Prepare activity reports and statistical summaries
- Assist with accident investigations
- Assist in planning of OSHA medical surveillance
- Perform medical testing including but not limited to TB tests, blood draws, immunizations, drug screening (DOT, Breath Alcohol, Urine) , vision tests, safety glass fitting, hearing tests, respirator fit tests, spirometry, electrocardiograms and medical evaluations
- Assist in ensuring adequate materials are available on-site in order to treat patients appropriately.
- Assist with organizing and maintaining records, log books, medication tracking sheets and operational logs.
- Assist with the maintenance and calibration schedule for all medical equipment.
Educational and professional requirements:
- Licensed Registered Nurse credentialed from the Virginia Board of Nursing or current home state license for multi-state license recognition "Compact State" with the ability to practice in Virginia;
- Certified as a COHN, or ability to become certified
- Current BLS and AED Certification through the American Red Cross or American Heart Association;
- Compassionate with good communication skills;
- Problem solving skills and ability to multi-task;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong organizational and planning skills;
- Excellent teamwork skills;
- Willing to learn new skills;
- Maintain appropriate Licensures, Certifications and insurance. Ability to obtain the following certification training : CAHOC, DOT Physical, DOT Drug Screen, Urine Drug Screen, Breath Alcohol Testing, NIOSH Spirometry, OSHA Respirator Fit Testing, Safety Glasses fit training.
Preferred Skills – Experience in ACLS and experience in Occupational Health to include working knowledge of OSHA Requirements and NIOSH recommendations is preferred, but not required.
- Ethical – Ability to demonstrate conduct conforming to a set of values and accepted standards.
- Interpersonal – Ability to get along well with a variety of personalities and individuals.
- Active Listening – Ability to actively attend to, convey, and understand the comments and questions of others.
- Decision Making – Ability to make critical decisions while following company procedures.
- Judgment – The ability to formulate a sound decision using the available information.
- Applied Learning – Ability to participate in needed learning activities in a way that makes the most of the learning experience.
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Vice President, Finance
Chandra helps steer the overall financial direction of BAE Systems’ headquarters. She interacts with many teams to lead mergers and acquisitions, investments, and general maintenance of all the numbers.
Back to top