New Product Introduction Principal Engineer - Manufacturing
See what you're missing. Our employees work on the world's most advanced electronics -from detecting threats for F-35 pilots to illuminating the night for soldiers. Spanning air, land, sea, and space, we are developing the technology of tomorrow, delivered today. Drawing strength from our differences, we're innovating for the future. And you can, too. Our flexible work environment provides you a chance to change the world without giving up your personal life. We put our customers first -exemplified by our mission: "We Protect Those Who Protect Us®." Sound like a team you want to be a part of? Come build your career with BAE Systems.
In Survivability, Targeting & Sensing Solutions, we provide affordable and highly accurate precision-guided munitions, helmet-mounted and head-up displays for fighter aircrafts, and advanced electro-optical/laser technology that detect and defeat threats to air and ground platforms.
The individual selected for this role will be an experienced New Product Introduction Engineer with significant manufacturing proficiency for the STS Business Area in the New Hampshire and Massachusetts campuses. The individual should have previous experience leading and supporting Design To Unit Production Cost (DTUPC) and Unit Production Cost (UPC) initiatives, a working knowledge of manufacturing best practices, and experience supporting and influencing manufacturbility, testability, and affordability of designs from inception through maturity preferably in an Electronics Manufacturing environment. Previous experience with sensor systems, high powered laser systems, complex electronic control units, and various other IR/EO technologies is desired but not required.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Experience leading and supporting early life product and process development cycles
- Providing a critical base of knowledge and expertise for the development of highly manufacturable and maintainable products
- Partnering and collaborating with Manufacturing, Engineering, Quality, and Supply Chain throughout product life cycle
- Driving a producible architecture in early product life
- Interpreting and applying manufacturing learning curve and improvement strategies across multiple programs and product lines
- Providing Subject Matter Expert level knowledge of DTUPC development and execution strategies across various stages of product life cycles
- Supporting proposal and cost evaluation activities to support linking DTUPC and Price to Win targets
- Providing active support and strategic solutions to DTUPC, Design for Manufacturing (DFM), Design for Test (DFT), UPC type activities
- Understanding of cost drivers and how to mitigate them inclusive of test yield, manufacturing yield, scrap, etc.
- Working with teams to develop affordability solutions that coincide with identified DTUPC efforts
- Identifying Hours Per Unit (HPU) reduction opportunities applicable to low rate and full rate production factories considering assembly processes, hardware designs, test effectiveness, etc
Required Skills and Education
BS in Industrial, Manufacturing, Mechanical, Electrical Engineering or equivalent and 6 + years of work experience or MS with 4+ years of experience
- Six Sigma Green or Black Belt
- Strong understanding of manufacturing methods and cost improvement activities
- Highly effective team player able to self-manage and priorities schedule and responsibilities
- Must be self-motivated, independent, and an effective communicator
Preferred Skills and Education
Working knowledge of Financial systems, cost rollups, finance organization/language
- Previous experience with IR/EO technologies
- Proficient in Excel, Visual Basic, Dataview type programs
BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere - from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact - for our customers and the communities we serve.
Back to top