New Product Introduction (NPI) Engineer
The New Product Introduction (NPI) Engineer is charged with providing technical leadership, support and direction for new product designs intended to be transitioned into Operations from Engineering. Fundamentally, the NPI Engineer ensures new designs have sufficient margin and are capable of being produced in the required volumes, at the required cost and in the required timeframe. Focusing on affordability and producibility activities early in the design process, the NPI Engineer will help increase the design process velocity. The NPI Engineer will also drive technology trends into our factories to maximize design flexibility, increase manufacturing capability and lower production costs. The NPI Engineer will be a valued member of program Integrated Product Teams (IPT’s) and will be expected to work closely with Program Office, Engineering, Operations, and our key suppliers. Core responsibilities include:
1. Provide technical support to Engineering and key suppliers by influencing the design approach, schedule, budget, trade studies and analysis required for LPD.
2. Drive producible product architecture early in the product life cycle providing a “Left Shift” mentality to engage Design for Manufacturing and Maintainability (DFM2) and Design for Test (DFT), IPC compliance and LPD Framework.
3. Work directly with Engineering to implement DSSM (Design for Six Sigma Manufacturing).
4. Promote a defined understanding of stable system requirements early in the life cycle.
5. Collaborate on Make/Buy decisions consistent with the Manufacturing Realization Strategy and Factory Capability Matrix.
6. Ensure preferred part and supplier selection alignment with supply chain strategy.
7. Promote the use of design guidelines during product development.
8. Utilize Design to Cost (DTC) based on a Price-to-Win as a methodology to drive designs to converge on cost instead of allowing cost to converge on design.
9. Understand design margins and predict factory and supplier yields through CpK analysis.
10. Provide a primary point of contact between Engineering and Operations for resolving technical problems and for providing rapid prototyping technical support.
11. Perform other related duties, as required.
Minimum Education and Experience Bachelor’s Degree and 12 years work experience or equivalent experience Required Skills and Education
Bachelors and 12+ year(s) related experience
This position will support New Product Introduction (NPI) and Production Transition activiites in the ECS Business Area.
Preferred Skills and Education Thorough working knowledge of RF/Microwave components, systems and assembly techniques
Working knowledge of RF/Microwave components, systems and assembly techniques
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems is a global defense, aerospace and security company with more than 80,000 employees worldwide, delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. Our Electronic Systems sector, headquartered in Nashua, N.H., has operations spanning commercial and defense electronics markets and offers a broad portfolio of mission critical electronic systems from flight and engine controls to electronic warfare and night vision systems, surveillance and reconnaissance sensors, secure networked communications equipment, and power and energy management systems. People are the greatest asset in any company. BAE Systems is committed to a high performance culture and provides an environment where the work we do matters and where people are challenged to reach their full potential. Equal Opportunity Employer. Females. Minorities. Veterans. Disabled
Back to top