Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering Intern Summer 2020
BAE Systems Jacksonville Ship Repair is seeking to hire a Naval Architecture/ Marine Engineering/Mechanical Intern in our Programs department. The candidate will report to the Director of Programs and will also interact with our team members within our company such as program management team members (ship superintendents, project managers, program managers, etc.), craft managers, craft supervisors, safety/chemist employees and other customers.
This posting is primarily for candidates who are pursuing a degree within the Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering disciplines, but other engineering degrees will be considered.The internship will be located at BAE Systems Ship Repair in Jacksonville, Florida.
BAE Systems Platforms and Services offer internships in various engineering, operations, and business disciplines that create a platform for your professional growth and development and provide a head start on building your career. As a BAE Systems intern, you will benefit from supervised and comprehensive on-the-job experience and be encouraged to contribute fresh ideas in an environment that encourages participation and imagination.
Duties and Responsibilities
While interning at BAE Systems, you will:
- Work within a diverse workforce and functional groups.
- Be exposed to and understand the complexity of Navy Surface ships and various commercial vessels.
- Be challenged with substantial work that will be beneficial to your academic and future professional careers.
As a member of the Programs team, the Intern candidate will:
- Assist the Programs department to manage a designated portion of a Navy surface ship repair package including the installation, modification, and repair of complex equipment and systems in Engineering, Crew Berthing, Electronic/Combat System Suites, and Mission Control spaces.
- Conduct ship checks; attend meetings; read and interpret detailed work items, drawings, and customer requirements.
- Gather and interpret data for reports and analyses. Verify source material for authenticity purposes.
- Provide support in preparing reports, documentation, and analyses to higher level department personnel.
- Obtain documentation and other data needed to help develop procedures for future projects and analyses.
Required Skills and Education
Candidates must be currently enrolled at a college/university and pursuing an accredited degree in technical disciplines leading to an Undergraduate degree in the fields of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering.
- Candidates must have completed their sophomore year of study.
- Must possess good academic standing (GPA of 3.0 of higher)
- Must possess entry level knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures within the related fields of engineering (Free Body Diagrams, stress/strain relationships, static analysis of forces on rigid bodies, etc...)
- Ability to work under the direction of program managers and engineers to perform tests, and evaluate materials for particular applications.
- Familiarity with current, computer applications and technologies in applicable engineering disciplines (2D/3D Modeling software, Microsoft Office Suite).
- Ability to develop basic technical design and developmental problem-solving skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective, professional relationships, and communicate effectively.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English is required.
- Ability to start work May/June 2019
- Ability to access shipboard spaces via vertical/inclined ladders and through compartments with limited overhead and/or confined spaces.
Preferred Skills and Education
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair...just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Arun P.Program Engineering Manager
Arun oversees the technical and operational aspects of engine control system projects for the company’s commercial airline clients around the world.
Back to top