Motor Controls Systems Engineer
BAE Systems is hiring for a Power Electronics Engineer.
BAE Systems delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. If you are an individual that enjoys a cohesive team environment and is interested in a variety of challenges across a variety of products, then we are interested in hearing from you!
The qualified candidate will have experience working on motor control systems or subsystems, as well as experience in power electronics related design and development, including familiarity with motor drives, gate drivers, analog circuitry, and magnetics. Responsibilities will include the design, analysis, test and integration of motor drives, grid tie systems and exportable power as well as high power DC/DC converters.
Detailed design, analysis and testing of:
- Polyphase Motor Drive powertrains from thermal feasibility to detailed design of busbars, snubbers and DC link.
- Cost Effective Gate Driver Architectures and circuit design for MOSFET, Si IGBT and SiC devices
- Isolated and Non-Isolated High Power DC/DC converters (greater than 1kW)
- System level DC link interactions
- EMI Filters and control for high power inverters, motor drives and DC/DC converters
- Filters for importable and exportable sine wave power for grid tie and other applications
- Defining of requirements for motor control software and interfacing hardware components including voltage and current sensors, power stages, speed sensors
- Practical understanding to drive implementation of motor controller functionality, behaviors, and algorithms
- Develop, test and validate motor control algorithms in the laboratory and on target systems
- Architect and analyze vehicle level power systems potentially utilizing multiple Motor Drives, Energy Storage Systems, Fuel Cells, and DC/DC converters.
- Architect test fixtures and test systems for motor drives and other power conversion products
- Prepare and/or review documentation for power systems designs and architectures
- Perform circuit and/or power system integration at Circuit Board, Electronic Enclosure, and Vehicle Level
- Produce and/or review technical documents, test procedures, specifications and standards
- Prepare and present design reviews and customer technical presentations
- Write Technical Proposals
Bachelor's Degree and 12 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Bachelors degree in related engineering discipline and 12 years applicable experience.
- Experience working on motor control systems or subsystems
- Experience in power electronics related design and development, including familiarity with motor drives, gate drivers, analog circuitry, and magnetics
- Experience in full lifecycle development including component level requirements and design, component and system-level integration, validation, and verification.
- Ability to work with software and firmware controlled power converters and power systems. Must be willing to work in a high voltage / high power lab environment.
- Software skills: SPICE, Mathcad
- Technical writing skills: capable of creating required engineering documentation.
- Demonstrated experience providing technical leadership and mentoring.
- Master's Degree or higher preferred, but not required.
- Experience addressing implementation constraints of motor control including, non-linear effects, hysteresis and electrical impedance
- Familiarity with motor sensors including encoders, resolvers and force sensors
- Experience designing motor control switching algorithms in either Simulink or VHDL for implementation onto FPGA hardware or microcontrollers
- Experience with design of DC DC converters and motor drives with power levels of up to 500kW and DC link voltages to 1000V or higher
- Experience with Power Magnetics Design and electromagnetic concepts
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top