Mobility Air Forces Flight Planning Services (MAFPS) Support Specialist
BAE Systems is seeking a self-motivated and experienced candidate to support the Mobility Air Forces Automated Flight Planning Services (MAFPS) program. MAFPS generates 4-D optimized flight plans that meet complex global airspace business rules to support the USAF's Air Mobility Command's 618 th Air Operations Center (AOC) daily worldwide airspace operations. MAFPS is integrated in the US Air Force network and operates 24/7/365. This position is located at Scott AFB, IL, near St. Louis, MO.
The MAFPS Support Specialist acts in an application/subject matter support capacity for the Tanker Airlift Command Center (TACC) end users. Activities include, but are not limited to, performing help desk-like product support activities and providing assistance in the operational environment for the creation and management of flight plan requests using MAFPS tools and source data. The MAFPS Support Specialist will assist users with understanding the operation of the client software, system logic, source data (e.g., aircraft flight performance, weather, navigation rules, altitude rules, special use airspace, air refueling, etc.) and procedures necessary to accomplish their flight planning tasks. The qualified candidate will also communicate with the factory development team to coordinate troubleshooting efforts as needed. Supported software includes MAFPS, Joint Mission Planning System (JMPS), Aeronautical Advisory (AA) Common Component (CC), and Weather (Wx) CC. The MAFPS Support Specialist will also provide assistance with MAFPS Flight Plan Request Editor, structured text, and graphical input. The qualified candidate will also assist users in the analysis and application of generated products to ensure AOC mission requirements are met. This support is critical to the AOC's smooth transition to MAFPS and uninterrupted planning of global airlift, air refueling, and aeromedical evacuation missions.
Shift work, including weekends, is required to support AOC's 24/7/365 operations. Shift premiums are applied to base pay for second and third shift work.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 4 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Air Force Operations
- Civil and Military aviation principles for flight planning and navigation
- Recent experience with DoD aviation publications including, but not limited to General Planning (GP), Area Planning (AP), and Flight Information Publications (FLIP). Additionally, familiarity with host nation Aeronautical Information Publications (AIP), and aeronautical products provided by the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) including the Digital Aeronautical Flight Information File (DAFIF), International Boundary files, and digital maps and charts.
- Understanding of complex Information Technology systems and data management
- Proactive self-starter with excellent communications and customer relations skills
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment within the customer's operational facility
4 + years' work experience in an operational support role
- BS degree in a computer-related technical, engineering or aviation discipline or equivalent experience in a related technical field
- Air Mobility Command operations
- Knowledge of systems integration methods, performance tuning methods, test and evaluation methods and procedures, IT security principles and methods, and project management principles and methods sufficient to plan and coordinate the installation of new products or equipment.
- Ability to relate all aspects of the work to overall system requirements, stay well informed on rapidly changing technology, to advise on the application of new technology and evaluate its possible impact on organization missions, to develop strategies to satisfy requirements, and to offer alternative approaches in operating systems development and/or problem resolution.
- Ability to log support activities in the government-directed trouble ticket system, e.g. Remedy, and Mission Planning Enterprise Deficiency Report (EDR) system, as appropriate.
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top