Mechanical Inspector II
- Louisville, KY
The Louisville, Kentucky site of BAE Systems is seeking a Mechanical Inspector II . In this role, the Mechanical Inspector performs in-process inspection and final acceptance of highly complex components including vendor supplied assemblies. Material is inspected for conformance to dimensional requirements as well as physical characteristics - finish, hardness, etc. A full range of materials are inspected including raw materials, machined parts, castings/forgings, stampings, molded products, fabricated parts, electrical/electronic components, subassemblies, and assemblies. Inspections are performed using a variety of standard and complex precision instruments and testing devices and highly sophisticated equipment.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Analyzes documentation, such as drawings, military specifications and standards, Quality Verification Plan (QVP), Quality Assurance Procedures (QAP), Procurement Inspection Plans (PIP), etc., to determine the level of inspection and the best method of inspection and tooling required to perform the inspection.
- Analyzes quality related issues which may arise and provide recommendations for solutions. This must be accomplished in a timely manner and through use of effective communication skills and application of appropriate technical ability.
- Inspections are performed using a variety of standard instruments and testing devices and equipment.
- Must be capable to effectively communicate with various levels of personnel, e.g. program managers, machinists, engineers, management staff, external customers (e.g. ISEA and DCM), etc.
- Works under the supervision of a Team Leader who gives minimal instructions. Team Leader is available for consultation.
- Employee is responsible for maintaining/improving housekeeping in his/her work area and adhering to established safety rules and practices.
- Must understand shop floor computerized time and attendance system and independently execute assigned responsibilities. Examples of those responsibilities are: clocking in and out upon arrival and departure from work, close shop order sequences when work is complete, etc.
- Must possess in-depth knowledge of receiving inspection.
- Ability to actively engage and participate in assessments of supplier capabilities.
- Experience and skill using and reading precision lay-outs and measuring instruments.
- Must be knowledgeable in and have the ability to apply appropriate algebraic, geometric, and trigonometric functions to blueprint dimensions in the inspection of complex parts.
- Must possess effective reading skills with the ability to interpret multi-paged complex blueprints.
- Ability and willingness to assist others in obtaining permanent solutions to quality issue
- Note about Physical Demands: The work requires employee to stand for long periods, stoop, bend, reach, and climb. Frequently handles objects weighing up to 10 pounds. Occasionally lifts objects weighing up to 40 pounds. Cranes, hand trucks, and other lifting and moving equipment are available for heavier loads.
Department of Defense experience a plus.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair...just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Back to top