The Louisville, Kentucky site of BAE Systems supporting Weapons Systems is seeking a Mechanical Inspector . In this role, the Mechanical Inspector will be inspecting a variety of complex machine parts and components:
- Analyzes documentation, such as drawings, military specifications and standards, quality verification plan, procurement inspection plans (PIP), etc., to determine the level of inspection and the best method of inspection and tooling required to perform the inspection.
- Verifies TDP (Technical Data Package) quality requirements and reporting results per NAVSEA instruction 8300.4A.
- Analyzes quality related issues which may arise. Provides recommendations for solutions in a timely manner using effective communication skills and application of appropriate technical ability.
- Performs mechanical inspections per blueprint and/or work instructions.
- Assists with reviewing shop floor documentation and ensuring operations are complete and closed before moving to subsequent operations.
- Monitors all QVP (quality verification plan) documents and all barrel documentation from raw material to finished product. Maintains accurate shipping records.
- Works under the supervision of a Team Leader who gives minimal instructions. Team Leader is available for consultation.
- Maintains and improves housekeeping standard in work area while adhering to established safety rules and practices.
- Applies UID (unique identification) markings following UID requirements and process of application.
- Presents all applicable documents to customer and obtains final DD250.
Typically a High School Diploma and 2 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Strong mechanical inspection background.
- Solid, working knowledge of ANSI Y14.5 Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T).
- Knowledge and ability to set, use, and read precision layout and measuring instruments.
- Proficient in the assembly, maintenance and use of gun barrel inspection equipment such as fleet star gage and bore scope as required.
- Capable of completing all necessary documents and records in a timely and accurate manner for the manufacture and shipment of gun barrel cell product.
- Must be capable of performing layout of gun barrel cell product.
- Must have knowledge of, and the ability to apply appropriate algebraic, geometric, and trigonometric functions to blueprint dimensions in the inspection of complex parts.
- Must be capable to effectively communicate with various levels of personnel, e.g. program managers, machinists, engineers, management staff, external customers (e.g. ISEA and DCM), etc.
- Experience working within a DoD manufacturing environment is a plus!
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair...just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Back to top