Mechanical Engineering Internship - Summer 2021
- Sterling Heights, MI
How does it feel to work on a team driven to make a big impact? Empowering. We believe your career should always be growing. And that's exactly what it will do at BAE Systems. You'll hit the ground running with a company truly committed to your growth as you enjoy a special camaraderie on a team dedicated to protecting what really matters. Build your future at BAE Systems.
As an intern you will participate in our nationwide Internship & Co-Op Program, LEAP, where you will have the opportunity to Learn, Engage, Apply, and Progress within the company. You will also have access to additional benefits such as, networking with BAE Systems employees and other students, participating in exciting real world projects, joining exclusive informational sessions with senior leaders, and expanding mentorship opportunities and career development.
This Internship is for Summer, 2021 starting in April/May, 2021
Mechanical Engineering interns provide engineering support to one or more areas of ground & amphibious combat vehicles: Vehicle assemblies including auxiliary subsystems, structure systems, and mobility systems. As an intern within the Mechanical Engineering organization, you will be part of an integrated product team in the development of a vehicle platform. You will perform roles similar in nature to our entry-level engineers, which may include but are not limited to the management of risks, coordination of projects, follow-up on team action items, as well as completion of engineering assignments in support of design reviews, processing change requests, and requesting support services.
Job Functions (Essential):
1. Create/Update tools such as presentations about system architecture, powertrain/cooling systems optimization, and design of current or future products.
2. Research vehicle subsystems, such as structures, controllers, mounting architecture, engines, mechanical transmissions, and powertrain cooling systems to gain a general understanding of implementation in military vehicles.
3. Gain hands on combat vehicle experience through review, installation, and/or testing.
4. Aid in the documentation of existing 3D models as well as loading models to the document management system using PTC Creo.
5. Complete work assignments in a thorough, consistent and punctual manner.
6. Adhere to company work hours, policies, procedures, and rules governing professional staff behavior.
7. Adhere to company and professional ethics governing the handling of confidential information and the observation of confidentiality.
8. Maintain professional relationships with company employees, clients and customers, both internal and external.
9. Keep management abreast of progress and pending problems.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Currently enrolled in an accredited college/university pursuing a degree in Mechanical Engineering, or related field.
- Experience with CAD.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with others.
- Good organizational, planning and follow-up skills.
- Proficient with PC and MS Office Suite.
- Completed a minimum of one year of college with a 3.0/4.0 GPA or equivalent academic record. Lower GPA considered if coupled with relevant experience.
- Interested in a career at BAE Systems.
- Experience with CAD, specifically PTC Creo or Pro/Engineer.
- Hands-on experience repairing/maintaining/building mechanical systems.
- Interest in supporting the Armed Forces.
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair...just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Back to top