Mechanical Engineering Internship - Summer 2019
Internship Winter Jan - Apr 2019 or Summer May - Aug 2019
Mechanical Engineering interns provide engineering support to one or more areas of ground & amphibious combat vehicles: Vehicle assemblies including auxiliary subsystems, structure systems, and mobility systems. As an intern within the Mechanical Engineering organization, you will be part of an integrated product team in the development of a vehicle platform. You will perform roles similar in nature to our entry-level engineers, which may include but are not limited to the management of risks, coordination of projects, follow-up on team action items, as well as completion of engineering assignments in support of design reviews, processing change requests, and requesting support services.
Job Functions (Essential):
1. Create/Update tools such as presentations about system architecture, powertrain/cooling systems optimization, and design of current or future products.
2. Research vehicle subsystems, such as structures, controllers, mounting architecture, engines, mechanical transmissions, and powertrain cooling systems to gain a general understanding of implementation in military vehicles.
3. Gain hands on combat vehicle experience through review, installation, and/or testing.
4. Aid in the documentation of existing 3D models as well as loading models to the document management system using PTC Creo.
5. Complete work assignments in a thorough, consistent and punctual manner.
6. Adhere to company work hours, policies, procedures, and rules governing professional staff behavior.
7. Adhere to company and professional ethics governing the handling of confidential information and the observation of confidentiality.
8. Maintain professional relationships with company employees, clients and customers, both internal and external.
9. Keep management abreast of progress and pending problems.
Required Skills and Education
Required Skills/Education include:
- Currently enrolled in an accredited college/university pursuing a degree in Mechanical Engineering, or related field.
- Experience with CAD.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with others.
- Good organizational, planning and follow-up skills.
- Proficient with PC and MS Office Suite.
Preferred Skills and Education:
- Completed a minimum of one year of college with a 3.0/4.0 GPA or equivalent academic record. Lower GPA considered if coupled with relevant experience.
- Junior or Senior status at University.
- Interested in a career at BAE Systems.
- Experience with CAD, specifically PTC Creo or Pro/Engineer.
- Hands-on experience repairing/maintaining/building mechanical systems.
- Interest in supporting the Armed Forces.
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. Platforms & Services designs, develops, produces, supports, maintains, modernizes and upgrades armored combat vehicles, wheeled vehicles, naval guns, surface ship combatants, commercial vessels, missile launchers, artillery systems, military ordnance, and protective wear and armor. Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top